My 2.5hp Briggs & Stratton Build Up

I had this old B&S 2.5hp kicking around and I figured I should do something with it. I don't have a bike lined up for it as of now, but at least it will be ready to go when I need it.

I started off stripping the motor down to the bare block. I then soaked the block in gas and scrubbed it with a tooth brush until all the grease and other sh@t was off. I let it dry and then I scrubbed it with acetone and then used a scotch bright pad to remove the loose paint. I let the block dry and then it was time for paint. I used VHT engine block metallic paint, it was a close match to the copper that was on it originally. Right now the block is drying.

The rest of the parts are soaking in gas to loosen up the grease so I can wipe it right off. So in the mean time I stripped the shroud down to bare metal with a wire wheel. After that I painted the inside of the shroud with black VHT wrinkle finish spray bomb to cover up the pitting. Right now that is drying, so I will have to wait before I paint the outside the same color as the block.

More or less this is what happens when I am waiting for part for another project. :biggrin:

Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

Looks good man! Does it have a threaded exhaust port?
Yep it has a threaded exhaust port. The threads are in great shape. Just saying, I haven't seen a 2.5hp, 3hp, or 3.5hp Briggs flat head that didn't have a threaded exhaust port.

but what is up with that stool in the second photo!!!??:eek:hmy::laugh:
I don't know what is up with it, must be that modern artsy look :shrug: I got it for free from my grandpa's neighbor so I can't complain. I wouldn't sit on it after having a few beer though. :laugh:

Made the straight pipe tonight and painted it, pictures tomorrow. The block it spending the night in my room where it is warm so the paint cures properly. :thumbsup:

Here are the pictures of the straight pipe I made. I am happy with how it turned out.

And here is the painted shroud. It will be in the warm cozy house for a while so the paint cures good.

:thumbsup:

I am not sure on the model number since the shroud isn't original to the rest of the engine. The shroud I have is from a 3hp Briggs. This motor started out as a hodge podge of old Briggs parts, so I can't tell you too much. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the compliments guys. :thumbsup:

Looking good man:thumbsup: you have any plans as far as internal mods, or are you gonna keep it stock?
I am not sure. I think it will stay stock internally, but I welded up a custom manifold to adapt the Tillotson carb I wanna use. Time will tell. :shrug: