My Kind of Harley

And as long as the rear end doesn't pass the front end, you're still going the right direction.:thumbsup: I helped a buddy rebuild a Sportster engine once, and he lived on a dirt road. I got to take the first ride. I came around a curve like that on the way back. He was laughing and said I looked like I was riding a dirt bike. I told him that once you hit the dirt road, it is a dirt bike.:thumbsup:

It reminds me when i was a kid. We had an open lot across from my house. I made it into a small oval. It was my first big crash. I was about 8 or 9 and on my XR75. I was on the throttle so hard it got stuck wide open and coming into the turn i had to lay it over, or hit the house. So i layed it over! LOL I think i was hooked after that.

Tom : Is that rider on the # 3 bike from Portland / His leathers say Ladus so that must be Ladus Harley Davidson right ? Is that flat track or TT ?
Steve :scooter:
This race was on a 3/8 mile banked oval at Willow Springs Raceway in Rosamond, Calif. It's a big place with multiple road courses, and paved and dirt ovals, and is almost at the front door to Edwards AFB.

#3 is Joe Kopp, the 2000 AMA Grand National Champion. He's from Mica, Washington, which is near Spokane. His leathers say Latus HD, which is in Portland, but the truck he was driving said Bob Lanphere's Beaverton Honda. So I'm not exactly sure who sponsors him right now. Joe won this year's Daytona short track AMA GNC season opener. That victory earned him a Grand Slam, having now won AMA Grand National races on mile, 1/2 mile, TT and short tracks.

#43 is Sammy Halbert. He and his brother, Jethro, also race the Grand National series. He's from Kapowsin, Washington, not far from Tacoma. #43 took the Pro class win over #3 at the
non-championship race where I took the photos. His career highlight so far was winning the '07 AMA Grand National Singles race at the TT track in Castle Rock, Wash. Side note: The Castle Rock TT track washed away in floods from the 1980 eruption of Mt Saint Helens and was later rebuilt nearby. I've raced there several times.

Ive always loved the flat trackers. I got out to Route 66 to watch evrey year or two.
I haven't been to the Route 66 track, but I have been to the TT in Peoria and to the Springfield Mile. I love Illinois. Just saw a piece on the news this evening about the glass deck on the Sears Tower. Might be time to plan another Illinois vaca. :thumbsup:

many years ago i went and saw some Harleys doing ice racing at the Cow Palace in SF. that was badass watching them sliding around that shit.

65ShelbyClone

This race was on a 3/8 mile banked oval at Willow Springs Raceway in Rosamond, Calif. It's a big place with multiple road courses, and paved and dirt ovals, and is almost at the front door to Edwards AFB.
Was that at the AHRMA event just a few weeks ago?

EDIT: Duh, yeah it would have been. :ph34r:

Last edited:
Was that at the AHRMA event just a few weeks ago?

EDIT: Duh, yeah it would have been. :ph34r:
Yes, it was. You live in Antelope Valley? Is it always that windy? The few trees I saw all leaned to one side, and every cyclone fence looked like a big air filter, clogged with newspapers and plastic shopping bags and small animals/children. Well, I might be exaggerating a bit, but it was windy on Saturday.

65ShelbyClone

Yeah, pretty much. Not usually as windy as it was on Saturday(I was getting hit with gravel), but windy nonetheless. All the trees lean eastward, not just the few you saw. We usually get calm weather in the dead of summer when it's 110°.