my new aluminum Tig welded tank

found an aluminum sign buried in some mud after some ditches were dug. looked like some new housing was being build and sidewalks were being added.
flattened it as much as i could, laid the older heavy tank on it and made some marks.

using a metal shear, cut out the pieces, cut, shaped them.
one side, holes drilled, Tig filled, later drilled/tapped for sight gauge.

some of the welds.

i measured NOTHING. all was by eye(might have turned out better if i had). i measured 1 1/2 gallons using water but i will recheck it. i think it might be more.

my neighbor, who welded this, just does it for fun. this was his first tank and first using this thin of aluminum. said the material was high quality. to think this would have ended up in the land fill.

fill spout was electrical conduit connector. i cut/smoothed it out. he welded and filled the gaps real good. he had a LOT of gaps to fill.

cap has 2 dished pieces, facing away from each other, hole drilled down the middle. idea was to create a path for fumes but not liquid.

one of the gaps.

almost done.

fill station(sink).

half gallon left showing on gauge.

filler neck detail.

mounting tabs welded on.

these will be cut/shaped/drilled and then attached to bike.

sight gauge tapped detail.

next pics should be mounted, ready to ride.

thanks a lot. all i did was cut it out really. he did all the welding. best thing about it all, besides no leaks and i know how much fuel is in the tank, it only cost me $20.00, parts and labor since all the other parts were leftovers and in the shop already.
my next welded project is a removable cover for the TAV driver. it will attach with screws, planning on 3, to the guard i made, from another old sign.

Last edited:
thanks a lot. all i did was cut it out really. he did all the welding. best thing about it all, besides no leaks and i know how much fuel is in the tank, it only cost me $20.00, parts and labor since all the other parts were leftovers and in the shop already.
my next welded project is a removable cover for the TAV driver. it will attach with screws, planning on 3, to the guard i made, from another old sign.
sweet.. i made a tank for one of my projects out of cardboard and sent it to my friend who made it for me... came out nice... i dont have a tig welder or the skill to tig weld... so friends like these come in handy... did cost a bit more than $20 for me though.. but nice tank.. i like custom bits made to fit the project... :thumbsup:

sweet.. i made a tank for one of my projects out of cardboard and sent it to my friend who made it for me... came out nice... i dont have a tig welder or the skill to tig weld... so friends like these come in handy... did cost a bit more than $20 for me though.. but nice tank.. i like custom bits made to fit the project... :thumbsup:
thanks. i saw your tank. it is sweet!