My Super Bronc Story/ What to do

Good Evening All,

I am Josh. And this little lady is my 76' Super Bronc VT-8 and her story:

One fall evening my grandpas uncle thought it might be nice to have a machine

Last edited:
Post denied. New posts are limited by number of URLs it may contain and checked if it doesn't contain forbidden words.

I have no idea why this message is coming up! It won't let me finish the message

Keep posting....
Good Evening All,

I am Josh. And this little lady is my 76' Super Bronc VT-8 and her story:

It started out sitting in a box in Michigan on a damp fall evening and my grandpas uncle thought it might be nice to have a machine to help him get out on the ice for ice fishing. a few weeks go by and he has a shiny new Heald Super Bronc VT-8 ready to assist on his fishing endeavors.

A little more info:
It appears to be all original, and my grandpas story confirms that.
It was purchased in 76
It has a HM80 engine and the clutch. jack-shaft, brake.
Both wheels are 8 inch with 22-11-8 tires.

It needs at least a piston, possibly head right now. My Grandpa told me not to stick money into this old tech and just put in a honda. He is a HUGE honda nut. He has six three wheelers, a fat cat, 50. 70. 90. 110 minis, and a few old skidoos. I am a Honda mini bike guy because of that now too. I have three 73' honda st90 mini bikes right now. Looking to obey his wishes, how much of a nono is it to put a non-tech in a SB? And if i ran a GX200, how "bolt in" would it be?

Thanks for your time!

The biggest problem putting a Honda or clone in it would be the rear brake set up. With the slanted head your brake set up wont work.

I only run clones. This one had a different style brake set up. But you might want to keep your original engine because of the lighting coil for the headlight. And because it is mostly original. But I think they may have come with 21x11.00-8 tires not 22..... Someone else may know

Your in Wisconsin,find a older snowblower of that year ,that runs good and don't smoke and switch it over.take the minibike motor and transfer it to the snowblower motor. Tin work ,carb an intake, lighting coil and flywheel and transmission/torque converter /brake setup. Were about in Wisconsin are you at?

I am thinking about getting a rebuild kit for the tec. If I have to spend money on something, it would either be a honda GX 200 or rebuild the one i have. Do many folks around here tinker with a rebuild?

So, I got a chance to look at the engine and determine where the failure stemmed from. Would you believe that the little bolt the held the butter fly on the choke came loose and made a new home in the cylinder head and piston!

I would believe that. I had that screw come out on a Yamaha YFM80 kids quad and it did similar. Well actually mine got stuck in the valve seat, the piston came up and whack...

With that bike being so complete and original, I would fix what needs to be fixed and keep it orig.

I have a 1981 VT-10 (same frame) and it has what I believe are original tires. They are 21x11.00-8 tires. Heald may have used what was available or cost effective at the time with the 22's. Call Ron Kimball at Powertec (269) 925-2450 or (800) 535-9529. He owns the company rights to Heald and sells parts. I think he designed the bike too. He will tell you everything there is to know about it. Great guy.

Doc

I too, would keep the Tec engine if possible. That bike is a great example of a survivor.

I have to ask, what kind of car did you have the bike in? When I picked up my Super Bronc I was going to drive my Subaru Outback...I measured everything and determined if I took off the fork, it would fit. My friend insisted we take his truck, so we took a 8 hour trip in a truck getting 13 mpg instead of my Subi at 30mpg.

I just picked the vehicle up. I purchased it from my father for a good deal. It is a 2007 pontiac Vibe. A little 1.8l 5 speed, gets me 34+ MPG.

I am keeping the HM80 in the Super Bronc. I ordered a new piston and ring set. Now I need to find a gasket kit, carb, and some other trinkets.

If it would be possible, I have a few questions on this:

Will I need a new crank due to the damage? Main bearings?

I have the lighted coil. What needs to be done to this to make it perform "new"?