Need a new carb for my H35

Need a new carburetor for my kart. I have a 1970 H35 Tecumseh with a Taylor spark arrestor style pipe on it and the stock air cleaner. Most of the carbs I see for sale have extra long choke levers that are in a different orientation. It seems like it would either hit the air cleaner or interfere with the pipe. What carburetor would be the right one for my engine? The number on the engine is H35- 45419J. The carb is stamped "99" which all correlates to a 631070A. Just seems like the choke arm is going to give me some issues.

And if it matters, the fuel inlet has a right angle fitting. What carb do I use??

Last edited:
Are you trying to restore this to look original? If not, there are several that will work. Are you interested in a "knock-off" carb, or are you looking for an actual Tecumseh carb? If it doesn't matter, then I'd go with one of the cheap carbs on eBay (or from the OldMiniBikes store). They are around $20. You could go with a rebuild kit, but those are almost as expensive as a cheap carb.

markus

Kinda hokey but out of lazyness I just bent the long lever on this one... I think they maybe are long so you can just make it fit your app :shrug:

Another other thing you can do is use your original choke lever on the new carb....well sometimes. It depends on the placement/orientantion of the detent spring that sticks up out of the carb body to hold the lever in the multi positions. If its in the same place as your old one you can just swap out the levers by unscrewing the butterfly off the rod and pulling it straight out of the carb body. I do it with older carbs a lot but sometimes the spring is not in the right spot or it has to be moved (some carbs have a universal body with multiple holes to thread the detent spring into).

Yes, trying to make it look original. I did come up with this number- 640228.

Genuine Tecumseh 640228 Carburetor | eBay

Im trying to stay away from the "hokey" look. The choke lever on this one seems to me smaller and out of the way. Im hoping it doesn't interfere with the throttle rod though. Im assuming the while fuel inlet swivels on these? I need it pointed the other way

markus

that setup will not work on the small frame engine, pull style throttle not a push, throttle shaft could be swapped if the donor carbs throttle is not wore out. Fuel inlet is straight out as well, so making the loop into the shroud will want to kink the line, you would want to either run a spring inside or outside the fuel line to try and prevent it.

I guess I could try using the original and redrill a hole for the little spring if the accommodation is there. I was hoping for more of a plug and play style. Tecumseh or a knock off doesn't matter.

I fell into the trap- I bought a rebuild kit that cost me $20. I should of just bought a new one! I could just save the original for posterity.

markus

Yes, trying to make it look original. I did come up with this number- 640228.

Genuine Tecumseh 640228 Carburetor | eBay

Im trying to stay away from the "hokey" look. The choke lever on this one seems to me smaller and out of the way. Im hoping it doesn't interfere with the throttle rod though. Im assuming the while fuel inlet swivels on these? I need it pointed the other way
wont interfere with the throttle linkage but on a small frame H 25/30/35 it will put it right under/on/very close to the exhaust. The fuel inlet will move....by force. the bung is pressed in the carb body. Gotta be careful with the plastic elbow It is pressed onto the bung, so sometimes it will want to come free before the bung moves. If they pop free and are not dried out and cracked (a new one wont be and will be more willing to move over a 40 year old one :smile:), I will position them where I want and use a little JB weld to reset them.
View attachment 70787