Need advice please...

Hey Guys,

Sorry I know this is Oldminibikes, but my question has to deal with a Go Kart. A friend of mine got his hands on a go kart that has a 150cc PCR racing 2 stroke engine in it.

This thing is brutal fast :eek:, you can feel the pressure on your stomach so bad it makes you have to :asshole: :001_9898: :nuke: after riding it. It must hit 60-70mph in about 3 seconds. The acceleration is redonkulous. Anyways, the only bummer is that we have to bump start this thing when ever we wanna ride it. He has a portable electric starter for it that works fine when the kart is on a stand. But you have to bump start it once the wheels are on the ground.

This thing has no clutch installed on it & that is the reason we have to push start it & I'm just wondering if there is a clutch (standard or axle) system that can handle these motors. I figure it must rev close to 16K RPM or so. At this point I'm really not sure what we would use to allow this thing to idle while it's sitting on the ground???

Just hoping some of you guy's on here have had experience with these things & can recommend some type of solution if a solution is even out there. Thanks in advance to anyone that can provide some insight...

Last edited:

Oldsalt

You will most likely not be happy unless you get one of the high-buck adjustable clutches that are specificly made for a kart. But, at max. 30 bucks you can try a simple clutch without looseing sleep if it doesn't work. What is the O.D. of the output shaft on the 150 cc engine?

if you're looking for a mini bike style clutch keep an eye out on ebay. i just picked up a Noram Cheetah for $30 (used, but you can buy all the parts to rebuild them). they're $190 when new, so the deals are out there.

Thanks guys for all the replys. I was kinda thinking about one of the multi disc clutches for this thing, but still wasn't sure if those would be able to handle this engine's output. Well I mean RPM... I'm not sure where this thing is idleing at, but it's pretty high, maybe in the 3K range or so. He took it to a Ol'School kart builder out near Willow Springs Race track & that guy rebuilt everything & got it running pretty champion. So I can only assume he set the idle right where it should be???

Oldsalt: I'm not sure what size the output shaft is, I'll have to mic it. But it's pretty small in diameter, actually it's alot smaller then my 3/4" shaft on my clone. My guess is smewhere around 9/16"... I'll try to take some measurements here in the next day or two.

Strigoi: Do you think those multi disc clutches will be able to support high RPM use? If this thing was a shifter kart it would be a big deal cause it would have a internal wet clutch. Bu this thing is different then any 2 stroke I've ever seen. It doesn't even have a radiator for cooling on it. It has a big square head very similar to a late 1970's style air cooled dirt bike???

Steve: I'll take a peek at that site, thanks for the link. I guess the first thing I should do is find out the output shaft diameter so I know what clutch to start with. DO you know off hand if those multi disc style clutches are ok to use on high rpm motors???

Once again thanks for the help guy's, it will be cool once we get this thing to be able to sit still on the ground running with out the wheels turning so fast...

Steve,

Thanks again for the link. That website has alot better description of what certain clutches will do, and what clutch to use with a specific motor. They have several that they recommend using with PCR engines. I think I found something that will work, I'll just have to call and confirm the RPM range the clutch is good for...

Thanks again, I don't know how you guy's find all the cool sites. So far this one is #1 on my list. There very very good about describing the products & what the uses & limitations are. Hell I even read a section where they tell you that a specific clutch (cheaper version) works better then the (high dollar) clutch if you use a certain spring. Pretty dang cool, thanks a million :thumbsup:

Strigoi: Do you think those multi disc clutches will be able to support high RPM use? If this thing was a shifter kart it would be a big deal cause it would have a internal wet clutch. Bu this thing is different then any 2 stroke I've ever seen. It doesn't even have a radiator for cooling on it. It has a big square head very similar to a late 1970's style air cooled dirt bike???
i have no idea. i haven't even tried running my bike with the clutch on it yet. it just came last week and i'm still waiting on more parts.

i've read lots of posts on random forums where people use these for karts, so i'm sure something like it would be fine. just do a google search for Noram Cheetah and you'll find all kinds of threads about them and other clutches like it.