Need help with headlight/rearlight on Shortster by Carter bro's after engine swap

The engine that was originally on it was a Tecumseh 5.5hp and I replaced that with a Predator 6.5hp. The lights originally connected to the Tecumseh flywheel (Or something behind it?). Think I would be able to put the lights onto the Predator flywheel (Or something behind it!)? I don't want to take the flywheels off to find out I can't do it. Anyone know? Sorry if it is a stupid question. New to this. Thanks!

Your minibike had a lighted coil tecumseh OHH55 engine on it. It was capable of 12 volt output which supplied your lights. You have replaced it with a motor that does NOT have a lighted coil. Your engine does not have capabilities to power lights. As far as I know, there is no easy conversion to a lighted coil on a predator although there are others who will chime in if I am wrong.

I also own a Shortster

Doc

Last edited:

buckeye

Dang Doc, that you only had Foxes. That seat on the db is nice.

And pretty sure your answer is correct.

Welcome to the op.:thumbsup:

Your minibike had a lighted coil tecumseh OHH55 engine on it. It was capable of 12 volt output which supplied your lights. You have replaced it with a motor that does NOT have a lighted coil. Your engine does not have capabilities to power lights. As far as I know, there is no easy conversion to a lighted coil on a predator although there are others who will chime in if I am wrong.

I also own a Shortster

Doc

Doc
Thanks for the quick and informed reply!!
Edit* Since you have a Shorster, do you happen to know where I can buy a front fender for the Shorster?

Last edited:
You know what my friend, I have been looking for parts for this thing to put away just in case. I have seen none in a very long time. Parts just don't exist. Take care of what you have because you will play heck trying to find anything.

Doc

You know what my friend, I have been looking for parts for this thing to put away just in case. I have seen none in a very long time. Parts just don't exist. Take care of what you have because you will play heck trying to find anything.

Doc
Will do! Going to get the Tecumseh motor back in running condition and keep it around.

I too have scoured the earth looking for parts for this bike, as I need a clutch cover for mine. The original cover is broke. I am almost tempted to sell it as is with out the cover. Or fabricate one out of 22 gauge sheet metal. I like it, this thing scares the :censure: out of me and my 230 lb nephew.

Also I am new to the site, so I'm sorry to interrupt this thread.

Last edited: