Need some input on repairing this Alsport trike fiberglass body..

125ccCrazy

I chipped all the plastic shell off the glass inner because the body was busted up and the plastic was all cracked... so after I get all the plastic chipped off the fiberglass has a covering of dry hairs that didn't get saturated with resin, so DA-ing those off was the first step...but now I can see under a few mills of resin the whole body is pock marks with air bubbles under a thin layer of resin...it looks as those it was built friday after lunch if you know what I mean...they either didn't saturate the mat well, didn't roll out the bubbles or mixed the resin too hot or all of the above.... so I figure I'm left with a few options...1 grind out each and every bubble...Hundreds and hundreds... or 2 sandblast the body and blow the weak spots out, wash the body down and blow it dry with the compressor followed with skimming the body with duraglass to start the repairs.. Before doing that I have several areas that had to be ground out and reglassed to fix missing areas and cracks... The plan is to either do a gelcoat finish or get it ready to do a nice base coat clear coat paint job...

My question is for the body guys is: what route would you take in fixing all the bubbles in the glass..

without seeing the body I think I would just reglass the whole thing.i like using epoxy resin instead of fiberglass.it costs alittle more but it's stronger and more flexible. basically replace the plastic layer with resin and mat.

125ccCrazy

the light orange areas are all the air bubbles under... some are fairly small but plentiful and others are pretty big.. I'm leaning towards laying out a couple layers of mat over the entire body, DA it down and start skim coating with filler... I've got two other bodies in progress that had some bubbles mainly along the edges but this one is covered with them every where..

I like bedliner....
Randy I thought about getting it Rhino Lined if it turns into too big of a headache...The original plan was a big flake .008 for that 70's look..

20160614_190254.jpg 20160614_190345.jpg

125ccCrazy

Do you have to remove the plastic top coat to make repairs if you use an epoxy resin?
that would depend on how much damage there is...if there are minor cracks or chips in the outer plastic skin I'd use Devco plastic welder on the plastic part and fiberglass resin and mat on the backside if the glass is broke. In the case of mine the plastic was pretty busted up as was the fiberglass shell so removing all the outer skin was the only option...

trike b.jpg

My first one had some chips and breaks. A little separation of gel coat and fiberglass undercoat, all the typical issues. A little fiberglass work, some extra mat, on the underside, to increase overall strength and it turned out pretty good.

Attachments