New Baja Racer - Questions

Hi, this is my first post.
I just bought a Baja Racer for $140 and it is my first mini bike and I have a few questions.

1. Right off the bat im seeing it needs a new rear tire, and I am wondering what is a popular/cost effective way to get a new one. Looking for a specific brand/type/link to site if possible. Are there benefits to picking a different size?

2. It is a Baja Racer- is this 100% a doodlebug and is it also a "DB30"?

3. The masterlink snapped today, at least a tractor supply is around and its only $3 for 4 of them. Is this a common piece to fail?

4. Yesterday I took it on a long ride in the subdivision and it did good however at the end of the 2 mile journey I could tell it was losing power. Is this common or a sign of something else? Seemed like the power was back today.

5. The brakes dont work well. I turned in the nut to tighten the pads but they are either clamping on the tire so it doesnt spin well or only a tiny bit of braking power is there if I back it off just a tiny bit. Could this be the pads? The brake lever seems fine, the rotor seems fine.. if I watch the caliper it barely moves when the handle is squeezed.

6. Im seeing conflicting info on cleaning the air filter - after cleaning with soap and drying - do I really dip it in oil and squeeze it out?

So far, Ive gotten it cleaned up only a bit, new oil, cleaned the clutch, and will get a new spark plug soon.

Pictures?

Oh and one last question - It looks like there might be a few different jackshift kits out there? Which one is the best value? I hate to spend $140 on a piece to put on a $140 bike :/

I bought one like this a couple of days a go and it looks like the same frame, fenders , foot pegs and brakes..and it has Dirt Bug on the rear fender. :shrug:. Mine is yellow with a 97cc engine and different tires.

You got the older style DB30 , that's good ! Can u spend $250-300 bucks on it ? If so pull that motor off and throw it away ! 4th of July sale at Harbor Freight , get a new 212 Predator , $100 ! Buy a hydraulic break from Hot Rod mini bike , $50 ! , buy a header and intake and good chain from OldMiniBikes , you'll be set and you will need to rejet the carb ( simple) !

You got the older style DB30 , that's good ! Can u spend $250-300 bucks on it ? If so pull that motor off and throw it away ! 4th of July sale at Harbor Freight , get a new 212 Predator , $100 ! Buy a hydraulic break from Hot Rod mini bike , $50 ! , buy a header and intake and good chain from OldMiniBikes , you'll be set and you will need to rejet the carb ( simple) !
I will agree chipper, mine has 0 take off, not bad after about a 100 feet or so.
Thanks didn't know Harbor Freight was having a sale on the Predator 212, I'll have to sneek off and buy another. :wink:

Chipper nailed it. The cost effective best bang for the buck total upgrade on a budget.

Best tire i've found is the snow hog. Summit Racing is selling them on ebay for around $20. plus shipping

THanks for all the input.

As it stands right now, Im not interested in a new engine. I am 150ibs and it isnt *that* bad and I like the lightweight, starts on first pull everytime factor. And I see an engine upgrade leading to lots of other small things breaking from the added stress. Im thinking the jackshift kit will reduce clutch stress and keep the bike pretty well stock otherwise.

Those snow tires look great on grass and offroad, but 90% of my riding will be on pavemenet - is there a different tire best for that?
Found a few that might last longer:
Amazon.com: Carlisle Knobby ATV Tire - 145/70-6: Automotive

Carlisle Knobby 145/70-6/2 Rec Golf ATV Tire - Walmart.com (same thing but can be ordered locally)

Hi-Run Knobby ATV Tire, At 145 70 - 6 - Tractor Supply Co. This one is in stock locally for me and I wonder if TSC would price match amazon/walmart since the tires are so similar.

I guess I should have said my primary issue at this point is a safety issue that my brakes are total junk on this thing, if there is even a slight slope it will only maintain speed and requires flinstone brakes.
Is it true that these mechanical brakes will never really stop me very fast no matter how I adjust them? I would like a comparison - how long would it take you to stop from full speed on a stock bike? I think it would take me 20 seconds.

Hydraulic will lock tire up ! Predator with the minor mods I stated is a one pull every time and no added stress on anything , I do recommend a good chain , you will spend more time and money fooling with that junk you have , learn from others mistakes , its cheaper:thumbsup:

Welcome to the OldMiniBikes Family!!! Not much added stress switching to the predator, your gonna have to add about $35 for a clutch also but its all worth the time and $$$ to avoid the headache of the 97cc engine thats on there now. You will get more enjoyable riding time this way. The brake and tire guru's here will steer ya in the right direction. (1981-89 Loring AFB). Once again, welcome onboard, and enjoy!!!

OK, so I think I have the brake issue resolved for now, although its too early to test it outside..

These ideas pop into my head while im sleeping...
But I remembered I had a set of brakes from my cannondale bike that I switched out because avid made some that worked much better... they are shimano brand and brand new.

Turns out they fit! Mostly.. only weakness I see so far is that only a little more than hal the brake pad reaches the rotor. But I can lock the tire in my garage sitting on it.. so it MUST be an improvement and it was free99.

The stock brakes had almost no travel requiring it to rub and even then no brake power when the lever is squeezed.. this shimano have much more travel to bite in.

I guess I am not against the 212cc engine from HF.. I have a store nearby and have a coupon for the engine at $99 in the mail good for the whole month of July... I want to at least have this thing in good shape tire/brake wise first before I tear it down.. and once I tear it down im going to want to paint the frame.. so itll be a week or two before its back together.... a bike I havent even had a week yet.

Nice deal you got. All old Baja DB30's are the same (except paint colors) and are named Racer, Dirtbug, Doodlebug, Blitz, Viper, maybe some others I don't remember at the moment.

I don't use the chain masterlink, yes it's a weak point. You can buy a chain breaker and leave out the masterlink. #35 Chain Breaker

If you want, you can keep the 97cc and make it run very well. You will need to do some research and a fair amount of work, but will cost very little $'s to get it to run a lot better. You may not have good luck going this direction, has completely frustrated many. Over the last couple of years, I have had a lot of fun getting mine to run better and I am very please with it. However, I have a many years racing karts, so may have more experience working on small engines with clutches and single gears than some. Minibikes are like 2 wheeled go karts to me.

Most like the $100 6.5 clone, an excellent way to go. It's a lot of fun to get one,start buying stuff, etc. If you are into performance, it is very fun to build one of these engines. I have one I race on a dirt kart and love it. On a minibike, you may find it's too much engine. 6.5 clone can cost a lot more than $100's, it's your ticket to start spending $'s.

I like the hydraulic brakes for street riding, but don't think you need them on dirt, my experience anyway.

Have fun. :thumbsup:

There are other tires from Carlisle that will work for you. They seem to be the best bang for your buck. They make a set called turf saver (I think) that is perfect for street riding. You can also buy a set of brake pads for your stock brake for less than $5 on eBay. It was an easy swap, and my db30 stops now.
If you're enjoying the 97cc, good for you. I'm in the process of rebuilding mine for fun. I went ahead and stuck a predator on mine for a little mor power. It's basically a bolt on mod. You'll probably have to cut two links out of your chain, but it's an easy job. Those little motors can be pretty addictive, so watch out. They're a blast to build up. There is a jack shaft kit that is also basically a bolt on mod, and you may like that instead. I think promod makes it.
Even if you swap the motor, just wait until winter for the complete tear down. Ride the :censure:eek:utta that thing for now.

The stock brakes are capable if properly adjusted. On 2 of my bikes I had hydraulic. I liked them alot.....until I broke one trying to stop from a little over 40mph. So I went back to mechanical on that bike with the heavy duty pads. It stops me fine, but my son complains about it.

This is my Dirt Bug, looks alot like your racer. :wink:
I think either my front fender is on wrong, or yours is. :confused:

Last edited:
looks like yours is the way it kinda points inwards at the bottom looks unsafe, and it doesnt go out the front far enough to stop wet stuff from flinging up and at you.