New Baja Racer - Questions

Dubs

Welcome to the forum, and to minibikes! I was a doodlebug noob just over a month ago, and the guys on this forum have been a wealth of knowledge. I would do as they say... get the new motor and suggested upgrades. Even if you get that stock motor running good, after a few rides you'll want more out of it ... at least that is what I did. Unfortunately, I spent money fixing parts that I ended up taking off and throwing in a pile once I put the predator on!

I now have another DB in the garage that I'm working on :laugh:

Have fun with it!

I clocked it at 30mph today I dont want to go any faster and I only weight 150ibs. I noticed with my 200ibs buddy on its a slug. As long as the engine is reliable for me Ill keep it on. I wish HF sold a 4hp engine for cheap.

Anyway, Im having brake issues again, this time its the rotor that is bent so slightly I cannot seem to get it straight. I think it overheated from the tiny bit it rubbed against the pads and caused it to warp. :( thought my brake issues were solved.

You can shim the brake rotor to straighten it. I doubt you caused it to warp, probably came like that, you maybe just now noticed it. You can take it off and put it on something flat to check. I bet it's straight.

I have noticed on several DB30's the sprocket and brake rotor hubs are machined to straighten, because the wheels usually wobble. Looks like they were put on a lathe. The wheels/ tires wobble, but the sprocket/ brake rotor run true or better anyway.

However, I bought a used DB30 with a brake rotor that had a very noticeable wobble. I used a alum coke can to make some shims, just little rectangular pieces that fit between the rotor hub and the rotor, and between the retaining screws.

Worked out really well, but would be a hassle if I ever have to take off the rotor (would have to align it again, took awhile).

You can shim the brake rotor to straighten it. I doubt you caused it to warp, probably came like that, you maybe just now noticed it. You can take it off and put it on something flat to check. I bet it's straight.

I have noticed on several DB30's the sprocket and brake rotor hubs are machined to straighten, because the wheels usually wobble. Looks like they were put on a lathe. The wheels/ tires wobble, but the sprocket/ brake rotor run true or better anyway.

However, I bought a used DB30 with a brake rotor that had a very noticeable wobble. I used a alum coke can to make some shims, just little rectangular pieces that fit between the rotor hub and the rotor, and between the retaining screws.

Worked out really well, but would be a hassle if I ever have to take off the rotor (would have to align it again, took awhile).
It is not flat when I take the rotor off and put it on a flat surface. It has slight bend to it. I think what made me notice this was that I took the rotor off to try and get fix a flat to the tire valve stem and when I put it back on, maybe I didnt use the exact same holes and now it is crooked.

It is such a minor bend though that makes a big difference.. Its going to be nearly impossible to straighten.

Ugh my local garage charged $15 to put the new tire on. Said it was a pain. Took them 15 minutes. They said they had to use screw drivers. .... I could have done it myself with screw drivers and bead seal. W.e.. live and learn. Couple new nicks on the rim but no real damage.

the jack handle out of an Older volvo/80`s generation/ is shaped like a tire spoon/mini and takes off tires Easy.
NEVER use screwdrivers!

i saw a post somewheres about people drilling the exhaust? i think for performance,and they have tuned the tiny 97cc motors to actually run Good.
also they have very good acceleration with a jackshaft kit,which you can find at the top of this forum.

ive had every motor but a predator on these so far and my opinion<< is that a predator is overkill on these tiny bikes if you are doing any offroading.
you just dont need that much on that frame,youll get in trouble Fast and on a tiny bike,you can get hurt.
again,just my opinion.
if all you are doing is street riding,then by all means..Motorize it.:thumbsup:
other headsup,check the wheel bearings make sure they spin good.
that brake disc you can wham back into shape like Cam said.

I just picked up a green bike just like yours but it didn't have a motor. The guy I bought it from took the original motor off and was going to put a pressure washer motor on it. I got the pressure washer motor but soon found out that the shaft is too short to put a clutch on. I plan to put a Predator motor on mine. In your case I'd probably dog out the stock motor on it you have now and when it goes I'd probably upgrade to a Predator.