New Doodlebug, Predator, Paint...Equals Pit Bug

First, hopefully this can be in the Doodlebug Forum :thumbsup:

When I started looking for Doodlebug info i looked here first. :smile:

Well where do I start....

I guess it started when I wanted something to run around the pits at VIR ( Home | Virginia International Raceway ) when I ran my car there a few times a year. I needed a pit bike I’ve looked at tons of things, but just couldn’t find the right thing. Then a friend of mine showed me his little minibike...w/ a monster motor in it (Predator) lol .... I think I decided pretty quickly that that was what I needed. I had never had a minibike before and never ridden one, didn’t even drive his. So, 2 days later I went and bought a Predator motor...but something was missing.... I still didn’t even have a minibike LOL ! So the next day the wife and I stopped by Pepboys and rolled out a new Doodlebug. :thumbsup: Now I have my own minibike.

I then scanned this forum all week to figure out how I was going to make all this work!

Pics before the start...

At the store

In my van

So the next weekend first thing I did was completely disassemble it, never rode it, never even started it. lol Then I proceeded w/ the build. I had an idea for the paint scheme, but had to plan things out a bit so I didn’t have to backtrack and fix stuff I missed. First thing I did was order all “The Stuff”.

The tear down...

For sale :wink:

List of stuff...

12T Max torque Clutch
PMR Motor Mount
Header Pipe
RVL Silencer (muffler)
Heat Wrap (for pipe)
Crankcase Breather
#35 Chain
Braided Hose
Billet Rod
Billet Flywheel
Pred Carb Bolt
Uni Air Filter
Air filter Adaptor
Vac Hose
Oil
Gaskets (Head, etc)
Performance Spark Plug
Jet Kit
Choke Lever Retainer
PMR Clutch Cover
New “metal” front and rear Fenders

A ton! of paint, and I’m sure I missed something....

I proceeded to disassemble the Predator engine. Now I have a disassembled minibike and a disassembled engine for it LOL !

Governor removed

Low oil sensor removed (interferes w/ Billet Rod)

Added the Billet Rod to the motor, removed the governor, and added the Billet Flywheel. Rechecked the valve clearances and buttoned everything back together. I had some parts of the engine off for paint also and let them cure a day before putting back together.

Then trying to fit the engine to the frame and tweaking the rear loop via a press to make it fit.

Once I trial fit the engine and got the loop moved I fitted the new front and rear metal fenders to the minibike and made sure I had chain and exhaust pipe clearance.

Frame is press to move rear loop...

Okay, getting to the paint and reassembly.

Man it takes forever to put this stuff together. :lol:

buckeye

Very nice. This isn't your first rodeo. Maybe in mini bikes but, you have done a build or two of other things.

Glad tO see you aren't here just to be reminded,SEARCH.:laugh:

Yeah, I sorta started out metallic purple, but decided I wanted something bright. Always loved the splatter paint technique from back in the 70's so that is what I ended up w/ :lol:

Looks better in person. :laugh:

I like it! :thumbsup:

The only thing I might have done different is cut the rear fender bar out and welded it back in below the head, like the older DB30s.

And I gave you the links for the hydro rear brake conversion.

Thanks

This is my first mini so I just did what I could to make the loop work.

If the press wouldn't move it I would have cut it off and welded it back different.

At the time that just seems too time consuming....and I'm not the best welder. :laugh:

No worries man.

I am building my first too. Here.

I am not the best welder either, but the beads look decent. I do have my own welder, Lincoln Power-Mig 180C.

The second DB build is for the Build-Off.

Last edited:
I'm getting better at welding, I've never had a lesson just tinkering over the last 20 years. Maybe the next twenty I'll be better. :lol:

How about some detailed pics and measurements of that rear caliper mount. :laugh:
Just took the pics with the phone, uploading to Photobucket now.

Slow ass old phone...

In the mean time, 3/16" plate, bent in a 90, and welded to the frame. Almost exactly 2" between the bolt holes for the caliper.

Last edited: