New guy here... Hello!

Wow! Where has this forum been my whole life? This is a fantastic site.

I am in the Portland, OR. area. I used to have an old mini bike back in the early 80's. I cant remember what brand it could have been, but my brothers and i loved that damn thing.

It was stolen and we never quite got over it. We moved onto old honda dirt bikes quickly after that though.

Then a few years ago i bought a little pocket bike. One of those tiny 49cc bikes from China. i did some mods to it and adjusted some things so that i could fit on it and it was really fast.

Total piece of junk though, as you prolly know. I got rid of it and have been wanting an actual mini bike. badly.

Anyways, i wouldnt mind piecing one together( im pretty handy with a wrench) but i have no idea what parts will fit with what parts.

I wanted to get a Taco frame and start from there. But i am not sure if thats a good idea or not.

I would like to know what you all think.

And thanks for having me here!!:smile:

Thanks for the welcome guys. I have watched Craigslist for some time now and its really slim pickin's. I see a couple things here and there every once and a while. Most of the time they are way overpriced or are just trash. Couple things there right now i am going to go look at, so we will see...

The main thing i have to learn here is if certain engines and whatnot will work with certain frames. Cause i wouldnt mind buying something trashed on if the frame is in good shape.

EDIT: I wanted to add; My original question of getting a new Taco frame direct from them and building one from there. Is that a pretty solid plan?

Get you a 5 or 6 inch wheel Azusa mini bike kit and a Predator engine from Harbor Freight , That would be one way to start that won't cost an arm and a leg if you want a rider . Find an old style DB-30 too , a million things you can do to it to make it your own :thumbsup: Be prepared , you can't eat just one , Lol :blink::laugh:

Welcome, I've only been here a couple months myself, but have been treated fantastic I honestly have not found one person that wouldn't give me there best advise and some were even willing to send parts to me to help me out. Great site! A little hint read a lot of threads and posts by using the search and you can find almost anything your looking for, if not pm someone you think may be able to help you and more often than not they will help as much as they can.

Welcome to the site Jet. As long as there is enough room to fit it in any motor will work on any minibike. Some will set up easily and with some you will have be creative and do some modifications to the motor mount. Best bet is to find a cheap CL junker with maybe an old beat up Briggs & Stratton on it and go from there. Briggs' are easy to work on and parts are available all over the place. The guys on here will identify your frame and then you'll know what parts you'll want to look for. The good thing is that almost all makes and models of minibikes are owned by someone here and most guys are happy to help out a newbie with either parts or information. Good luck. Ogy

Right on guys, thanks so much for the warm welcome. I have been reading a lot about different bikes and its a lot to take in.

I have a 2 year degree in small engine repair and worked on a few golf courses before i became a mechanic for the fuel terminal that i work at now. So no worries about wrenching on stuff for me :thumbsup:

Thank you so much for mentioning Azusa. I googled it and wow what a site that is! Every single thing i need to get going. I had no idea, i even google search a few mini bike related things recently and didnt find anything like that site, so thanks again!

Hopefully soon i can post up a 'build' of my own.:hammer:

And possibly go to some meets up in my area if any come around this summer

Check out the OldMiniBikes Warehouse link at the top of the page...they are an AZUSA dealer. You will get the same price or better and support the forum at the same time...:thumbsup:

Welcome .
When looking for a good roller try to find somthing with all the parts.
Dont worry too much about the motor but you need to check that it has a brake set up ,,, and all the parts. The seat can be torn up but its nice to have the frame of the seat . I say all this because finding things can be alot harder than fixing them.
If it dosent run and is missing parts start adding 25-50$ per part , tire, seat or whatever in your head. Like ; ok nice frame but i need a seat, 2 tires, brake system..... So is this worth it after i spend $150 more or should look for a complete frame and parts !
I got 2 complete frames and 3 motors for $125 and pieced one great bike for another $15 for rings and engine seals !
You can get a good used 3-5 hp briggs for under. $100 or a nice HF 7 hp for. $125 or so!
Check craigslist and look for a doodle bug or buy a new one for $299.
Have fun!!!

zeeman

OldMiniBikes forever! Welcome, and good luck with all your new projects. There is no way you can get out of this hobby one you start.

Thanks for mentioning the warehouse site. It's amazing!

Let me ask this though; are the Minibike kits on that site legit? Meaning, is it a good way to go?

I could order a kit and then customize and personalize the bike as I see fit. Looks like all I would need is the kit and then an engine.

Are they good quality frames? Who makes them? China? Are the modeled after a popular vintage bike?

Seems like it would be better to start from scratch like that instead of restoring some piece of junk. Cause that's all I've been able to find in this area in the last couple months or so that I have been looking.

Not to mention, I would have all new quality(if OldMiniBikes sells quality) parts that I could trust, ya know?

Your thoughts please...

What your calling junk, some of us would jump at the chance to get.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

After having the newer :chinese: bikes, stock, modified, modified heavily, I am done with them.

I am now looking at the older bikes. I finally got a Super Bronc which I am currently rebuilding. Sure, I may have more into it than buying a new bike, but I prefer it this way. I know what is in it. I rebuilt it with my hands. It was originally built by someone that took pride in what they did 40 years ago.

Now I am rambling.

I just feel that building a bike is way more fun than just buying one.

One more note. OldMiniBikes sells good stuff. Lots of OldMiniBikes parts are in my bikes.

Seems like it would be better to start from scratch like that instead of restoring some piece of junk. Cause that's all I've been able to find in this area in the last couple months or so that I have been looking.
The only reason I am here, and spend too much on mini bikes is the nostalgic value. For me and many others, the old pieces of junk bring back childhood memories. (In my case, NE Portland after 1970)

You may need to decide where you fit into all of this. Some of us spend thousands on old restorations. That Cat you were asking about- I have spent more than that for the same bike in worse condition.

What do "you" want out of a mini bike? If it's basic off-road transportation, you can get a Chinese-made pit bike that does the job better, for less money. Otherwise, it's a labor of love that'll cost you three times it's market value. :thumbsup: