New here... Street legal Coleman 200

Hell i was gonna buy a honda grom, but 2500 plus cost of everything else....

When i get home ill scan mco and title. but redact identifying info. Seems a few people here are shady....

this doesn't sound right. this scenario would never happen in new york. law enforcement officer or not.

i would like to know if the OP is a commissioned officer.

Soooooo I have a question for you all... We are thinking of voting on letting ATVs on the street around town were I live. There trying to attract more people to visit the sand dunes were we live. Most ATVs are not street legal from factory and some don't have titles. I don't know if there going to let all ATVs or just DOT approved ATVs. You guys think a mini would fall under the ATV law? I know there going to require the normal, head light, blinkers, break light, horn, speedometer, probably a front brake and mirrors. Any one live in a city were there mini is allowed on the road under an ATV law?

Lots of towns in West by God Virginia allow ATV's in town. Its how they make a living. You go and ride the Hatfield-McCoy trails and every town that it runs close to allows them to operate in a safe manner with no additional equipment. Act like you have some sense and the LEO waves at you as you pass to go to the gas station or the McDonalds of the store. Act like an idiot and you will be stopped. Lots of short trails from the main trail into lots of small towns on the 600 or so miles of the H&M system.

And no I don't think the Minis will get blanket coverage from an ATV law. If it read "off road vehicle" then you would have a leg to stand on.

And I don't think that you will find very many people that are willing to add all the "street" junk to their off road ATV. Just more crap to give problems when you are crossing a log and a stick jumps up and nocks the blinker off and lets all the blinker fluid out. Or you have to cross some deep creek and it shorts out the "street" stuff because it isn't water tight like the rest of the ATV stuff typically is.

Just my 2 cents for what its worth.

Doug

I can only speak for California where it would NEVER happen. On the other hand, I hear that Arizona is pretty lenient wher you can practically get a lawnmower registered and street legal.
Michael

Last edited:
"Then had to fill out affidavit that the vehicle was equipped with everything needed to be street legal. (This means if you get stopped without proper equipment, you will be inpounded at car rates, and not be able to leave impound without tow to house. beware. )"

As long as we're beating this dead horse, ^^^that^^^ is where it seems you got lucky, but seriously, good on you for doing it that way. Even if you did just file a false declaration with a state regulatory agency, they bought it!

Technically speaking, I didnt lie. it didnt say anything about dot tires lol.
What it does mean is if you dont have lights mirrors on it, they would impound it.

Technically speaking, a vehicle must be USDOT and USEPA certified for highway use at time of manufacture; a minibike is neither (only EPA certified for off-road use). However, it appears that the OP has found a way to circumvent federal regulations.

Technically speaking, a vehicle must be USDOT and USEPA certified for highway use at time of manufacture;
I live in a state that allows dual purpose use. IE, we can plate off road vehicles for part time use, ostensibly to and from the desert. Those vehicles do not meet FMVSS, nor DOT requirements for highway use. Moreover, specific items like lamps are specified within the local law as not required, if the machine is not operated at night. (brake lamps required)

In every one of the many posts concerning making mini bikes legal, the assumption is always from an individual's home state point of view for validity- or Federal Regulations regarding motor vehicle safety standards. That is just not true. The regulations, and indeed the level of LEO interaction with motorists and DMV attitudes regarding titles, and MSO's are local.

what we have here is a law enforcement officer, who took an oath to uphold the
law, who by his own words submitted an affidavit (a sworn statement) that
knowingly contained false or misleading information. i think he did violate
section 2921.11 of ohio law.

:drinkup::drinkup:

I guess my question would be is a license plate from one state legal or valid in another? In Iowa, we as Iowa citizens are not allowed to pull two trailers but people from other states can do that as they wish. Who is going to crush my dream of a lower 48 mini bike tour? Lol!

Sent from my iPad using OldMiniBikes