New HF engine compaired to Honda clone's

9 Ga' ?? No wonder it don't fit good in the DB lol. (I thought I read that at first too)
Anyway...
I just spent some time reading over all of the comments on this thread which has seemed to gather a fair amount of attention.
The first thing I would like to do is apologize to anyone who is offended by my opinion of the new HF engine after dissecting it. After all there are a fair amount of DB-HF engine swaps with satisfied owners. The comment about them not being the best choice for hot rod mods is my opinion and comes from my engine building back ground along with what you see in the pics, I also just want to give the best advice.
And not to add insult to injury, But the tank issue and gasket availably issue alone would make me choose a different engine for a DB, Not counting my opinion of the crank side cover and new block casting. Because it bothers me doesn't mean it matters to you.
The clever tank swaps and re-mounts are cool but may cost you a little more time or money than you thought.. Sometimes we humans will spend $10 on fuel driving to Micki D"s on the other side of town for a good deal on a dollar burger when a $9.99 steak dinner was available a block away from home.. I like steak!
As far as the comments defending the reliability of there HF's go.There all good.
But If you think about your Mini bike motor in terms of miles logged on an odometer you installed, then think about this. 150-750Mi at an average speed of 15mph = 10 to 50hrs of operation right.
A commercial pressure washer or pump could log that much time on there hour meter in a couple of weeks. I would at least hope the engines would last that long. Your rings may have just now seated.
Making engines produce twice there HP through mods usually complicates and changes the equation though.
Sometimes we are amazed by what we get away with.
Sometimes not.
We will all agree that the 6.5 Honda engine design is awesome, it's over engineered has D-port heads and lots of untapped perf'.
Simply a blast to play with! Everyone have fun while they can before they all come from China made out of plastic. And please, I did not want to offend anyone who already own's a HF engine by sharing my evaluation.

delray

the new HF engines also carrys a 0.93 gl tank . you may have to in large the picture little to see it better. also i think the california model has a higher neck filler?

promod its all good info that you post on your HF engine. pictures don't lie. good to know there is a differents in parts on some of the HF clone engines and maybe others too. looking at that engine you posted with that type of unfinish machine work reminds me of the V-8 target engines from GM in the late 80's:doah: camshafts,lifter bores off/castings. still ran good,but man you get what you pay for:doah: you could run it all day i a driver,but never in a hot rod of any kind with a gear drive. never would aline correct:doah:
I love my flatheads and i will still use them ,but the clone engines are here to stay and so are the baja doodle bug. so if you can build parts for these two things? do it:thumbsup:
easy money$$$:smile:don't take it the wrong way. thats what you are here for,sell you product....:smile::scooter:

MiniBike Paul

Not So Fast.......

ProMod - your stuff is great; i bought a gear reduction unit from you, real quality!! But, i have a lot of trouble with ......

'The clever tank swaps and re-mounts are cool but may cost you a little more time or money than you thought."

The clever tank swaps and re-mounts (and all the other similar mods) are a big part of why we do this. I have put custom tanks on a few bikes, and frankly, even if it cost some money, who cares?? And as for time, this is a hobby, it is supposed to devour time!!

The idea is to build something cool, that works well.

If it was about being practical with money, we sure as hell wouldn't buy mini bikes!! Or $100 gear reducers for 2.8 h.p. motors!

Check out the tank on my Bad Dog in my Avatar to the left.

'

Last edited:
Thanks, I am glad you liked the JS setup MP.
And you are 100% right about the reward and enjoyment to be had with customizing.
Your bikes are awesome!
The tank comment was steered toward those who buy the cheaper HF engine because of the price. And then find out that there is more involved. 90% of my customers are just wanting to make there DB ridable and have some fun with it. In stock form it's disappointing. The JS kit turns it into something fun and is practical. Some may think an engine swap is the answer but may not have the time or resources to build custom tanks or remount a tank. So for them an engine with no tank clearance issues may be worth spending a little more for. That was the point I was trying to make with that comment.
Building something yourself, making it look cool or making something work better is really where the fun is in my book too! Playing with these silly Mini bikes to satisfy that really is not that impractical when you start looking at what other hobbies may set you back.
Ah Heck even a night on the town with the ol lady, a nice dinner and drinks can set you back the price of a doodlebugger now days. ( no one get in trouble cause i said that)

what's not to offend. You get a shitty engine and now all new harbor freight engines are shitty. Just like in the race forums today it's blue, tomorrow it's yellow, then over again? You get a 20hp honda/older clone blowing jugs, cranks, blocks. You get a 20hp new harbor freight clone same thing blowing jugs etc..but it's treated like an inferior product. In the end you still lose what you got into it. If you can say this motor is guaranteed to produce xx% more horespower or it is xx% more reliable that says a lot. But to say people are buying these engines because they're cheap as if price is the only factor is misleading when they're just savvy shopping:cool:

Sooner79

ProMod's original post was simply intended to provide some valuable information so that forum members could make an informed decision. Thus, to each his own. However, after doing a fair amount of reading and talking to people that are considered experts in the kart racing world, the consensus is that the yellow clone engine is superior in overall quality to the HF one. That's not to say that the HF engine won't serve one well (after modding to make it fit), however, the yellow Box Stock engines are imported for kart racing and HF imports theirs for numerous applications. See the link below and the description of both engines by one of the biggest and most trusted suppliers around:

NR-Racing.com

Last edited:
to me looking at the pictures i would venture to say the hf could handle the same stuff as the other clone till you throw a grand or two at it and at that point who uses a clone anyways

MiniBike Paul

Last edited:
MP, I just had to go back and look at those pics of the Pink Nova again.
One of the coolest builds ever in my book. (and not just because it's sportin a JS)
The color Scheme, Theme and attention to detail are first class!
Sure would have liked to seen the look on Kylie's face when she saw that for the first time. When it comes to two wheelers, I myself like everything from rat bike to custom.
And when there well thought out projects and aesthetically correct in my eyes It impresses me.

with the 15% off ones we can change the URL to get the current one each Wed. i'm not able to do that with the PDF and was hoping it was going to be a coupon like the 15% one.