New member here with a new find ! 1970 ! Steens 50cc

Found this site while researching this little Steens 50cc. (Zundapp engine) Reminds of the 70's when these mini on this site where everywhere, but hard to afford as a kid. Well about 2 weeks ago I found this Steens mini motocross 50cc.(don't mind the dirt) from 1970, with a Honda Z50 1979. A barn find bargin to say the least. They were both made to run by a mechanic friend of mine in short order. This Steens has awesome power and the exspansion chamber is RAD ! sounding. Just thought I would share a photo or two and maybe find out where I might find an original front fender. All comments are welcome on what I think is a cool "Mini" Thanks in advance !

Attachments

Just wondering why I find so little information on this lil' 50cc ? Are there many of them around ? What is there level of collectability if I wash this up , add a fender & air filter ? I do not want to sell, just curious about all the above. Thanks again ! :scooter:

Last edited:
Here is a quickie photo of the Honda Z50 (1979) that came with it, also runs perfect thanks to a friend. Amazing what 2 cans of Easy Off oven cleaner did for the fuel tanks and carbs. Next will come a detail wash with new tires and tubes on the Honda.

buckeye

That is a cool bike.
There are a bunch of folks out your way. You close to LA?
Big mini bike races this weekend.
Fun Day is what it's called.

buckeye

All the West coasters who are big into this crazy hobby will be there.
Swap meet all kinds of stuff for sale, trade, oggle at, will be there too.
Don't know how far of a drive, but might be worth your time.:thumbsup:

george3

Found this site while researching this little Steens 50cc. (Zundapp engine) Reminds of the 70's when these mini on this site where everywhere, but hard to afford as a kid. Well about 2 weeks ago I found this Steens mini motocross 50cc.(don't mind the dirt) from 1970, with a Honda Z50 1979. A barn find bargin to say the least. They were both made to run by a mechanic friend of mine in short order. This Steens has awesome power and the exspansion chamber is RAD ! sounding. Just thought I would share a photo or two and maybe find out where I might find an original front fender. All comments are welcome on what I think is a cool "Mini" Thanks in advance !
Check your messages.

Added a few more pictures with the mfg. tags and the original air filter that was not on at the time of the first pictures. The ZUNDAPP tag is a little blurry, 1970 mfg. date on it

Last edited:
Turns out this is a Taco F 85 Matterhorn 50cc Zundapp., Steens last series 4. Taco Bill says this is the only original 50cc equipped engine he has seen. There was one other restored by Dave Miller , he added added a 50cc Zundapp to it. This may be a more "Rare bird" than I figured. Thanks to Taco bill for all the help with locating the Vin # , This was # 32 off the line. :scooter:

Last edited: