New to forum just bought 2 used trikes check em out

Hello Everyone,
I just picked up 2 trikes from a freind the other day and figured I'd post a couple pics more to follow.

The first one appears to be a dunecycle with a mystry fiberglass seat. It apears that the original seat is mounted to the other trike possably. Powered by a 6.5 hp honda which im taking up north to go play around in the sand.

The second one is a bit of a basket case the guy my freiind ought it off of said it had a 2 cycle 14 hp 101 engine. there are some stickers on it for placing first place ina few races so who knows. I scored a 9 hp tec in decent shape to power it with once i get it cleaned up and in decent shape. Im looking at going with a comet clutch setup when i get it together as well as upgrading the other trike to a comet as well.

Any advice would be appriciated.

Nice trikes:thumbsup: Welcome to the site, I'm no expert on these yet but there are definately some guys on here who really know there stuff. Keep'em posted on your progress and they'll help you out.
The seat thats on the first one looks cool, but i dont think the bottom would provide enough room for my fat butt. i'd probably flip it over for more cheek room:thumbsup::thumbsup:

mybiz

The good ole days:thumbsup:I use to have a dune cycle in mint shape got it back in 1977 at that time i weighed (125) and i gave $175.00 back then that was a lot to pay for a toy Now the guy I bought it from was in his 40's and weighted 250 plus he said he flat tracked raced with it i looked at him and said ya right! he said they clocked him at 78mph well any how i drove home with the trike and started it up and took it for a spin and it wouldnt go no 78mph later on i had a cop friend clock me at 102mph the engine they put on it was a Rockwell 340cc/ 2 cyl/ 2 carbs/ and the only way you could turn it around was to open it up a spin it around. It had a bolt going through the axle i took it out thinking it would turn around easier with power going to just 1 of the tires wrong that didnt work way to much power to 1 tire it would only cut donuts. it was TC driven and i took two of the rubber out of the tc and then it would almost snap my neck off it work about the same as a 4500rpm stall converter in a drag car anyhow your posting your trikes sure dug up some of my good ole times DROP A ROCKWELL 340 IN 1 AND YOU WILL SEE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi Boondocks thanks for the welcome ! Your right about the seat being a lil narrow but I can fit on it just barley !

MyBiz im glad i could stir up some memories ! The takeoff on this is definatley not like a drag car (which reminds me I need to finish the trans swap on mine ..... too many projects so little time)

Just to give everyone an update I got back from up north and its time for a new motor on the first one the clutch chatters from I think having a rod knock on a cheaper honda clone motor. Soooo ill put the 9 hp tec on it WHooo hooo. Which means something bigger on the "drag trike"

Im off to pick up the second one today..... I have figure out im going to lengthin the frame by about 6 inches or so to make it a lil more comfy .... swap the seats It appears they were swaped at one point. (once i get them cleaned and painted).

Welcome athos to the OldMiniBikes Looks like you have opened the right door. When it comes to trikes there is so many different brands that were made all over the country. I never owned a Dunecycle they were the competition or lets say the other camp when it came to racing. Dunecycle's were very lightweight and passably too lightweight and that would account for the lack of existing machines. I sold the Tri-Sport line of trikes and mini cycles. All the trikes started out as play machines with 5 and 8 HP engines and then they rapidly went into the JLO single cylinder engines and bigger engines and problems arose when band brakes just would not stop a machine safely. We went into the twin cylinder 290CC and then the 340CC Kohler engines with twin expansion chambers and better hydraulic disc brakes. I put my first Kohler 440 2AX engine in my race trike who earned the name ( Killer )
These trikes can be a ton of fun and there is nothing like being down low, under power sliding around the mountain roads and taking it right to the edge under full control, today they call that drifting. What ever you do pay attention to one thing and that is brakes they allow you to ride again another day.
Steve :scooter:

Time for an update !!!
Thanks for the advice on the brakes steve. I am finding the band brakes to be lacking so im looking into upgrading to a disc brake setup for each side.

Ok now for the fun stuff the update
Trike 1 got a brand spanking new liffen clone motor complete with gov removal and a new clutch. I put the motor on gased and oiled up...... started first pull .... flipped the choke to open and vroooooom off past my tent and over the fire pit into the woods it went ! It got about 50 yards before flipping over and needing to be extracted from a small tree. Luckily nothing broke so all is good

Trike 2
I did some research on this one and found out it is a dunecycle spider !!! Whooo hooo and to top it off it was the one ridden to be the national champion in 1970 and 1971 ! This has me pretty excited until I found a motor and the guy wanted 1200 for the motor. He also has the parts for an aftermarket expansion chamber and some other stuff that slips my mind as well.
So today i ran across a freshly rebuilt 440 kohler motor with the primary clutch all the wiring, muffler. So once i get the frame straightened out (its a little bent from popping wheelies) its going for paint.
Next stop ... brakes and a driven clutch. whoo hooo !!!

Athos

Do you have life insurance ??? LOL Well a Kohler 440 should put out from 40 to 50 HP and if it came off a sled you may want to go very easy until you find out the clutch engagement RPM on a sled they weight is much higher so they usually engage at a higher RPM and that will give your light weight machine neck snapping take off speeds but a lot less control. Most good clutches can be adjusted by installing lighter springs. I had a Tri-Sport RTS with a hopped up 340 Kohler sled motor and it was like that my Son never liked that ride because of the lack of the putt putt ability it was just on or off.
Steve :scooter:

BigZ

Hey Steve,
I just purchased an old Montgomery ward T-555. Pretty well stripped but has back rims ,front tire and motor. Have you seen any info on this model in your travels?

Thanks

Big Z