New to the hobby - My Fox Sprite mini bike

Hello there. I've been looking around for a while for a mini bike project, but the wife said get something that runs!! A co-worker informed me that he had a friend with a mini bike for sale that ran like a beast. He sent some pictures and the deal was struck.

I've been doing some research and it appears that I've got an early Sprite, or Go Kart 1100 Cycle (but those have only one down tube I think)

Anyways, it has a 6.5 HP Tecumseh and a Torq-A-Verter. It's a ton of power that pulls wheelies. After I got it, I couldn't take the salmon color much longer and painted it a rich red color.

Now my worries are that the chain rubs on the brake shaft and likes to fly off under load. Thinking of raising up the skid plate, or trying to add brakes on the 4" wheels somehow.

Anyways, here are some pictures!!

That might be the better answer to fixing the chain issue, even though I just went and bought new knobby tires for em and put them on.. Doh! I think the Torq-A-Verter has pushed the chain location further back than it originally was, making the angle of the chain more likely to hit the brake bar...

Thanks everyone.

The issue is that when the chain is tight, it's rubbing hard on that brake shaft. There are two nice little notches in the bottom where the rolling chain saw tried to cut it in two! :doah:

I'm thinking about adding an idler like a skate board wheel or small sprocket on a bar attached just in front of the scuff brake. Then the chain won't rub, it will stay tight and hopefully stop breaking!

According to the brochure at minidoodle.com, some sprites did come with 4 inch wheels. I think the torqaverter is causing the problem. The idler idea sounds good.

Awsome little bike ... Looks like a wild ride ... Welcome to OldMiniBikes brother Texan ... Looks like you scored big time with that Fox ... :thumbsup:

Thanks Rockwall! I'm really enjoying it! Not sure so much about my neighbors though! haha. I like that it's fun to ride, but that it also takes some tinkering with. Best of both worlds! You've got a nice little bike there as well!

I'm looking forward to all the great info, advice and pictures of other people's projects!

well, I think I came up with an easier fix! I slid the engine all the way back and put some 1/4 inch spacers between the engine and the mount plate and then routed the chain over the top of the brake and it looks like that did the trick! The chain vibrates and barely touches the brake when slowing down so it's nicked the paint, but it's not putting unnecessary tension on the brake at all.

Also, I just got the JawHorse this weekend (As Seen on TV baby!) and that is one awesome tool. Portable work bench. And tough, too!

Here are some pics.