Newb question, from a vet

buckeye

Alright, I know I should know this but, here goes.....

How do you hold the engine in place while keeping the chain tight and tighten the bolts holding the engine to the frame. ALONE!!!!!:shrug::censure:

It is helpfull if you have 3 arms:laugh::laugh: Actually, I use a piece of 2x4 to wedge in there. One of the members make a tool for that:thumbsup::thumbsup:

On which bike Tom :shrug: The chain doesn't need to be super tight so I always just slide it forward and tighten :thumbsup: check it and readjust if needed :hammer:

Snug up the bolts finger tight, then use a small dead blow or rubber hammer to bump the motor around. My fingers are like vise grips though, you may need a wrench.

Snug up the bolts finger tight, then use a small dead blow or rubber hammer to bump the motor around. My fingers are like vise grips though, you may need a wrench.
Thats what I do too. You can tighten them good and just use a piece of wood and a rubber mallet and give it a firm tap and should get it really snug.

george3

Alright, I know I should know this but, here goes.....

How do you hold the engine in place while keeping the chain tight and tighten the bolts holding the engine to the frame. ALONE!!!!!:shrug::censure:
Posts: 19,381 And you ask this question now? Shit what have you been doing? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

buckeye

Haha!! George. Been throwing chain.:laugh:

I used kbrockets fancy tool. Vice gripped it to the motor mount and it worked.

My fingers aren't vice grips. I have sissy hands.:laugh:

I'll try the rubber mallet trick. And the 2x4 trick also.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I use a screw driver and put it in the slot underneat and push the engine forward with enough torque on the mounting bolts to hold it.

Some of those motor plates are warped, so I get the chain too tight just by tightening the bolts.

You're right though Tom, it's a pain in the ass.

you can put a closed end wrench on top to hold the bolt so that you only need one hand to do the tightening. what you do with the other hand is up to you :laugh: i usually try to wedge something between the engine and tire like a piece of wood or my foot. but this tends to make the ngine crookid so i use the other hand to keep it straight. also helps to tighten the back bolts first then the front cinches down the chain