Newbie here, first question

Hey Guys,
I'm new to this forum. Posting my first question. Just completed a rebuild of a doodle bug with my sons. Came out really nice, but one thing. I bought a new throttle and when I twist the throttle it doesn't recoil back. Why is that? I can tell you all the springs are on the engine and when I rev the throttle from the engine it does spring back, so I think I have isolated it just the hand twist throttle. What could I be missing here? Here is a picture of the finished product. I had the frame sandblasted and powercoated. :) Thanks in advance for any help.
Before:
008.JPG

After
IMG_3048.JPG

Thanks
Mark

Last edited:

CarPlayLB

While I am not familiar with the set up, I think you need to add a spring to the carb side of the equation. Nothing serious, and certainly nothing to overthink. Put on a spring and motor away!

Welcome aboard. Nice looking bike!

chrisr

Sometimes when you paint/powder coat the handlebars the throttle is being restricted by the paint/powder coat. You may check to see if the throttle works smoothly when not connected to the carb and if not try sanding some of the paint/powder coat under the throttle so that the throttle does work smoothly. If it was smooth when the carb is disconnected maybe just add a stronger throttle return spring.

Hey Guys,
I'm new to this forum. Posting my first question. Just completed a rebuild of a doodle bug with my sons. Came out really nice, but one thing. I bought a new throttle and when I twist the throttle it doesn't recoil back. Why is that? I can tell you all the springs are on the engine and when I rev the throttle from the engine it does spring back, so I think I have isolated it just the hand twist throttle. What could I be missing here? Here is a picture of the finished product. I had the frame sandblasted and powercoated. :) Thanks in advance for any help.
Before:
View attachment 78335

After
View attachment 78334

Thanks
Mark
If your grip throttle has a locking screw make sure it's not dragging. Have you lubed the cable? Is the cable sheath kinked anywhere?

Echoing some of the comments above, I use a bit of dielectric grease on the bars underneath the throttle. Also, on some of the cheaper throttles I get drag at the handlebar clamp area, because the cast isn't smooth enough. I lube that area too, and have sanded it smoother when required. Any lock screws get removed.

You may have cocked it a bit when tightening the clamp screws. It doesn't seem possible to do, but it is.

jays0n

+1 on the too much paint or powder coating on the handlebar. I've rebuilt a few of these and that was a problem on all of them.