Newbie Questions On The HF Engine

Hey All,

I have the HF 6.5 hp engine.I was wondering about this.There are 2 threaded oil plugs.The one is the dipstick & the other is just the oil plug.What is the non dipstick one for? I thought is was for using to pour oil into the engine but now i'm not sure.Reason is,while reading my manual on oil changes,it say's to put new oil in thru the dipstick one.If so,what is the purpose of having a second oil plug?

I know to use dino oil in a new engine.But after break in do you guy's switch over to synthetic or stick to dino?

Thanks Tim...

i believe it's there beecause on some applications you can't get to the front plug. just use the front one.

regular oil is fine and you can switch to synthetic if you want.

JustEnough

If the engine is put on an angled mount, the hole that has the dipstick cap may be lower than the oil level. In that case, the dipstick cap and the plug cap would be swapped. Some Briggs engines have three holes with caps; gives you more options in tight spaces and angled mounts. On karts, it also gives us a place to put a hose fitting in a cap to get a crankcase pulse for a fuel pump.

hey strigoi did you use one of chris's mounting plates for you clone engine or did you drill and slot the holes yourself, and if you did was it very hard?

my 5.5 is in a Cat Eliminator frame so it's not the same (i sold my DB for $100, wish i kept it now).

if you're somewhat mechanically inclined, you can make it work.