Nice Original BBBBird!!

2013 must be the year for survivor bikes, as they are popping up all over. This is one that I got over the summer, a Bird Scat Bat. The bike is unbelievably complete and unmolested, just has a good coating of dirt and crud. Someone at some time changed one of the grips, and I think the carburetor has been replaced (there was no trace of black paint on it, but the mounting bolts were painted) but other than that it is all original:blink:...paint, tires, cables, brake pad, band brake, seat etc.

This is what it looked like when it arrived:

Very nice! Now that's one that doesn't need paint. :scooter::wink:

Although you need to polish up that buckle. LOL. All of the little parts are there. Great score.

You ended up with that?!!!! I soooo hate you!!!!:censure:
Really nice bike though...congrats!:thumbsup:
I had to keep quiet, until I had it in my hands. Then I had to complete a few other projects before I could even touch it, as I had bikes, minibikes and cars torn apart everywhere:doah:. I finally got the bike completed a last month or so, but I haven't been too happy with the way the new pics came out. looks better in person:wink:
Nice bike Mark.:thumbsup:
Thanks Tom:thumbsup:

The shocks were real filthy, the springs had small rust specks and one was covered in carbon from the exhaust.

I took them apart, buffed the paint, polished the chrome and reassembled:

markus

You ended up with that?!!!! I soooo hate you!!!!:censure:
Really nice bike though...congrats!:thumbsup:

:laugh: yea I was after that one too :thumbsup: the Uship to here though was just not cooperating:doah: Great you got Mark, that is a killer bike!!!!

Wow

Did you get that off WI CL this summer? If you did where was I? :doah:

If that was found in WI you sure can turn over rocks better then me. WOW

:laugh: yea I was after that one too :thumbsup: the Uship to here though was just not cooperating:doah: Great you got Mark, that is a killer bike!!!!
Funny, the lady who had it told me about a very persistent man in FL that wanted the bike...I told her I had an idea of who it was:wink:.

The wheel covers on these are incredibly thin and light, made out of aluminum I wanted to polish them sooo bad but I decided to just wipe the crud off.

The wheels are painted BRIGHT white, it's a almost a shame that they have to be covered up by the covers. The tires are in great shape, no signs of cracking anywhere:thumbsup:.
This gives you an idea of the amount of dust/grime that was built up.

Well, that dust and grime sure preserved them. :thumbsup:
How did ya clean those covers so well? Man, they look great.

It sure did:smile:
Dawn dish soap and warm water with a terry cloth. The aluminum has a nice spun finish to it, so I couldn't use anything aggressive.

Nice find! I have a scat bat also but just the frame its nice to see a complete 1!:thumbsup:
Thanks!!

If you look closely at the first few pics you can see the bike has the all too common high speed option:doah:. I had to get the forks apart to get the rust from behind the springs, so I had to take them apart anyway. Most people say you cant get these forks apart without cutting the fender mount, because it's welded on. I want this bike to have NO NEW paint so that's not an option, so I used a strap wrench to the springs and cranked them all the way into the top of the triple tree. Crappy pic but it's all I got:shrug:

After the springs were in as far as they could go I just slightly bent the tabs on the lowers that were holding them in and they popped right out:thumbsup:. Because the inner part of the upper tree was bent back a few degrees, the lowers didn't want to move. So to get them un-stuck without damage, I put the axle back in, then placed a 2x4 on top (where the wheel would be) and gave it a few smacks with a dead blow hammer and out they popped:hammer:. You can see the black paint on the springs, when they painted these bikes the whole front end was chrome, then they just taped off (poorly:laugh:) the bars and springs.

6doggie3

thanks for the info on the forks! i was wondering how to take them apart to soak the rust off of the handle bars? So do you think the chrome would be any good under the paint? I don't have the decal on my forks so I might try to save the chrome?