OldMiniBikes Build-Off 2016 "Team Rambobuilders" Under 17 Class Rupp Build

Update!

Here it is! Thank you to everyone that helped us.

Note from Mr. Davis (smudvapor),
The students worked really hard on these bikes. For a bunch of 8th graders with no real experience I think they did a fine job. I want to point out that they did all of the assembly at school and when there was a problem I had to take the problem home and bring it back the next day. That created a lot of problems for us because when we encountered a problem that would be no trouble at home with a garage full of tools, etc., they had to stop for the day. They also had the added responsibility of keeping up with their other classes. No work could be completed on the bikes unless all of their other schoolwork was completed and on time. This posed a problem a couple of times and the students could not work on them. This part, in my opinion is what I am most proud of. They could have just said “the heck with it” but they didn’t. They caught up their work and kept working on the bikes.

The Rupp is in pretty bad shape when I brought it home. It needed an engine rebuild and a lot of parts were missing. Black Widow Motor Sports gave me a great deal on parts and in addition when he didn’t have the TC covers in stock he pulled ones off of his personal bikes and shipped them to us so the students could make the deadline. How is that for customer service? Although the clutch worked on this bike before it was taken apart; for some reason it will not engage now. When I get the bike home I will probably just replace the clutch but it just couldn’t be done now because we ran out of time. Also, the same throttle issued that plagued the Power-Dyne is plaguing the Rupp. I know that the throttle problem has to be an easy fix but once again we just ran out of time.

We posted a video of the bike so you could see how it turned out and that it runs.

I want to thank everyone who helped the kids along and all of those who posted replies and encouragement. It meant a lot to them. I learned a lot too. Next year (If we do this again), I will get some simpler bikes for the class to do.
Thanks again.
Scott

DSC00540.JPG

[video=youtube_share;vLZliWcSItQ]https://youtu.be/vLZliWcSItQ[/video]

Awesome job to all the kids....and especially to the man that made it happen. We need more teachers like this in society...Thank you all for participating.:thumbsup:

buckeye

Fantastic job.
I so much enjoyed this build.
And not only a lesson on mini bikes but, on responsibilities.
Great job as a teacher right here.

Tink

It does look great.
Congrats to those involved and keep at it , both studies and new experiences. Restorations are a skill indeed.
Good lessons and experiences. Ya gotta wanna!

Congratulations to you and your students! :clap:I was so glad to see the students getting their hands "dirty" and working on something real with a tangible outcome--they will never forget this experience. Students in programs like yours really benefit from real world experiences. I sincerely hope your principal and supervisors recognize the effort you and your students put into seeing these projects through--this is worthy of recognition in a lot of ways!:thumbsup:

You and your students would be on top of my list to bring to a school board meeting and present their fine efforts to the community!

Please share my thoughts and congrats with both of your teams~ Pete Vernimb