Paint Removal Question?

Gents,

I want to try a White with Purple Pearl Paint Job. It is alot of work on top of the base coat of white. I have not deceided which bike to do yet?

1. QUESTION: HEAT GUN, SAND, WIRE WHEEL OR STRIPPER?

2. WORK INVOLVED: STRIP, ETCH, PRIME, WHITE BASE, PURPLE PEARL TWICE INSIDE OF CLEAR AND TOP COAT CLEAR. BLACK BOTTOM OF FORKS, FOOTPEGS, FENDER'S, DROPOUTS AND WHEELS. 6 COATS TOTAL.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

PAINT $32 QT. PURPLE PEARL $28 OUNCE. 4--- 3, HOURS DAYS. $60-

TT :hack:

hefihwefghoghohgoh hgni insane?

delray

sand blasting should do real good and then you can seal it off with light color(gray)epoxy primer. that should make a nice base for everything else to stick to and hold up real good to the frame. a couple good primer fill coats and sanding out can make the frame look real smooth.:thumbsup:...........:scooter:

Yeah sand blasting is totally the best and places do it real cheap. So cheap it's not worth getting dirty or using nasty strippers. I had two bikes done for $45 and will never get covered in sand again!

Stripper you have to remove and get it all, then you find rust in the little cracks a wheel can't get, wheels are a mess and don't get after rusty pits and cracks like blasting does.

Pearl comes in rattle cans (just so ya know)

Yeah man!

Where do you get Purple Pearl mixed with automotive clear coat with an excellerator?

TT

thanks??

eifhwehgwehbohgohghgiwihbgnbghnghgigifhhinfifii it has lead in it....:thumbsup:

Yeah sand blasting is totally the best and places do it real cheap. So cheap it's not worth getting dirty or using nasty strippers. I had two bikes done for $45 and will never get covered in sand again!

Stripper you have to remove and get it all, then you find rust in the little cracks a wheel can't get, wheels are a mess and don't get after rusty pits and cracks like blasting does.

Pearl comes in rattle cans (just so ya know)
Buddy of mine had a tubular race car frame (formula ford, I think) dipped. After it came back from the stripper, he rinsed it and he rinsed it some more. But even after all that, stripper still dribbled out of the tubes and ruined the new paint job right away. You'd have the same problem w/a minibike frame.

Lesson: Chemical stripping is for sheet metal. Sand/media blasting is for tubes and hard parts.

I did, however, sandblast the sheetmetal body tub for my old MGA sports car. The tub has some boxed sections in the rocker panels that could trap the stripping solution. On that rig, there's no roof and all 4 fenders unbolt. With the fenders, doors, hood and trunk lid removed, there's very little exposed sheet metal left. The man who did the work just went real slow and careful and got a good result. I wouldn't have done it if there were large exposed areas that you could see after the car was re-assembled. I had the removable panels dipped.

I'm lucky that another friend of mine has a Harbor Freight blast booth. If I need anything cleaned up, the mess gets made in his garage. :thumbsup: His favorite medium is crushed walnut shells. It's apparently much safer to use on internal engine parts than sand or glass beads.

Yeah man!

Where do you get Purple Pearl mixed with automotive clear coat with an excellerator?

TT

thanks??

eifhwehgwehbohgohghgiwihbgnbghnghgigifhhinfifii it has lead in it....:thumbsup:
TT, you are throwing so much money at that thing that "you might as well go out and hit the pace car". (have it done.)

GTO,

Let me clarify. I have 5 minis now..lol Very sick indeed!

Blue bike motor being built this week and here in two weeks.
Figure 8 beater needs rings/gasket kit on 5HP briggs.
2 new DB for sale, or not?
1 - 6.5 HP DB just sits with govoner installed.
I have the time to mess around, while money is here, two weeks it's gone! Wife is on spending spree and loving it. I have a 1956 Schwinn Corvette Cruiser ready in one week.

5 minis
9 bicycles
5-8 guns
RV
Truck
Honda Accord
No cash..

It's not worth putting $45 into sandblasting, 20 hours and $50 materials to just sit. However I do want to improve my painting skills, and 5 coats of paint and clear with priming will help improve the teqnique...

hrgghghrghhgogighirggigigigreigi holding off until speed run video at 79 mph 12" wheels 8500 rpm, 4 to 1 ratio and $1800 in the motor and clutch.. $335 motor $1200 hop ups $179 clutch, $600 chassis, $200 in paint.. lol ....... Yes,,, I am nutz...........:doah:

Going to Pismo to enter it in the car show next June father's day....

“THE BOYD CODDINGTON TRIBUTE HONDA GX-200 21 HP MINI BIKE”

SPECIAL THANKS, TO THE FOLLOWING VENDORS.

ROBIN JOHNSON, BAD DOG ENTERPRISES, FRAME DESIGN.
MONARCH BEACH, CA

RUSSELL THOMPSON, NR RACING, ENGINE BUILDER.
WOLVERINE LAKE, MI

MINIDRAGBIKE, ENGINE BUILDING CONSULTANT.
LOS ANGELES, CA

TONY RABAGO, RAYS AUTO PAINT SUPPLIES.
CULVER CITY, CA

ROY NAVARRETE, QUAILITY DRIVE SYSTEMS,
ALHAMBRA, CA

PROTOTYPE DESIGN BUILT BY, CURTIS SCOTT, MINIBIKESERVICE.COM/

george3

First of all how bad is the paint on the bike now? If the paint is good enough just sand it. The tight places with a red hand sanding pad. What does the frame look like now.

Over the years I have built several cars and bikes and found the cheapest and best way to paint any frame is to have it sandblasted and powdercoated in priner or a color close to what you want to end up with.This will give you a clean smooth frame to work with.Then skuff it with a red 3m skuff pad or 400 wet sandpaper.apply your base coat (color) then add your pearl or flake or both in your inner coat .Then apply plenty of clear to it (dont worry if you run it ) then sand the finish with 1200 -2000 grit sandpaper and polish to a mirror like finish just like this bike with pearl and flake in it.

george3

Powder coat is much more work sanding. some of these bikes have serial numbers. If the guy sprays too much powder you might not see the nunbers.