peerless transmission

Mr X

im trying to build a small offroad buggy with a 15hp briggs engine. I was looking into using a peerless 700 transmission maybe with a custom case and bearings and fill it all with oil. one thing im wondering about is can the peerless transmission be shifted on the fly? lets say i put a manual clutch on the buggy and use this gear box, will i be able to shift it while moving using the clutch or does the buggy have to be stationary?

I have gone through 9-10 peerless 700 transmissions on my mowers, I am thinking the answer is no. When you shift from gear to gear, the output shafts seem to stop, seem to need to stop. You CAN shift while moving forward, but it is not smooth, and seems to be hard on the transmission. If the clutch somehow disengaged the output from the wheels... now that would work. You can shift all day long with power going into the transmission, it was designed for that.

Mr X

does anyone know of some other alternative that i can use? an idea was to take a dirt bike motor and make a custom housing just for the gearbox. but are there any other transmissions that can be bought which would work and be shifted on the fly with a clutch?

im trying to build a small offroad buggy with a 15hp briggs engine. I was looking into using a peerless 700 transmission maybe with a custom case and bearings and fill it all with oil. one thing im wondering about is can the peerless transmission be shifted on the fly? lets say i put a manual clutch on the buggy and use this gear box, will i be able to shift it while moving using the clutch or does the buggy have to be stationary?
Since you were planning on a peerless 700, I assume your 15hp briggs is a vertical shaft????
Is it a Vanguard, or an I/C model? May want to sell it and buy a used motorcycle engine with gearbox. That would be cool.

You could pic up the new 412 cc Predator engine at Harbor Freight, with the 20% off coupon it would only be $256 right now.... comes with keyed ignition, electric start and charging coil, buy that and a 1" TAV from the OldMiniBikes warehouse and you are in BIDNISS for under $500. Heck, if your briggs is in good shape, you might get $250-300 out of it. Be only $200 out of pocket for a sweet set-up, that's what a new peerless 700 would cost you.

Soon, I will begin building my custom, from scratch "Diamond bike" I am planning on using the 412 predator and a 1" Tav.... VROOM!

Mr X

The thing is this is for a school competition and everyone has to use the same engine and can't modify it. We have a comet tav on the current car but were looking for alternatives with reverse. If anything we will just make a reverse gear but it would be nice to have a gearbox with no belts

depending on what you have for machine tools you could maybe build a chain and sprocket transmission . got one out of a old snow blower , you could set it up for a few forward gears and using some gears out of a motor cycle or maybe car timing gears setup a reverse.
would be a bit of work to build tho :shrug:

buckeye

I really have no idea, but would a hydrostatic trans from a craftsman rider work. No clutch. Forward and reverse. Like I said no clue at all just a thought.

i dont think a 700 would stand up to 15hp for very long at all. a 350 or 400 would be a better bet. check out heymow.com they know that stuff top to bottom. maby you can even trade for a better one :shrug:

I have never seen this done, nor can I say if it would work or not, but I was thinking, could you put a centrifugal clutch with proper spring tension on the output side of the peerless 700 thus disengaging the wheels during a no acceleraton period while shifting? seems to me get off the gas and shift no manual clutch sounds like a hondamatic kind of thing. this might do that

A weak point in the peerless transaxles is the shift keys if you shift while moving under power they get rounded off after a while and it will pop out of gear all the time. Im working on something thats using a 19hp v twin with a torque converter into a dirtbike gearbox from a yamaha 175 2 stroke. Maybe itll be done in another 12 years and ill check in and let you know if it worked lol

1699142511055.png This is a Peerless 700. It was made for vertical shaft riding lawn mowers with a chain drive to differential axel.
Had a pulley on the bottom, sprocket on one side, tiny brake disc on the other side. Just so we all know what we were talking about in 2011.