Picked up a 46 Hiawatha Doodlebug

Oldsalt

The rear tire has been flipped and the sprocket is now on the right. There is a jackshaft mounted that caused the wheel to be flipped and it has horrible bearings that will have to go. The original jackshaft was belt driven from the motor and that assembly was an aluminum casting and is missing. The 46 had a throttle/brake system that would set the rear brake when the throttle was closed. Some of those pieces were moved to the left side to be with the brake drum when the wheel was flipped. The 'floor boards' are missing. The rear 'fender' is gone as is the fuel tank mounts. The frame is slightly bent up front...this is very common with these machines. It is easily detected when the rear of the front fender is that close to the front of the frame.

OK, the above may seem to be bad mouthing your machine excessively but the picture I attached of my 46 was the result of having even a worse example to start with. You have the original front and rear wheels and brake drum and etc. I didn't and substituted other hand made pieces and other 'sorta close' pieces. [My 4" rims are from Harbor Freight!]. Google Yesterdays Rides Metalworks, Inc. It is near Portland OR and the guy makes an amazing array of parts. And he is a great guy! I bought some pieces from him, such as the side panels, and ended up with a 46 Hiawatha that only a Hiawatha nut would quickly know was not right. Plus mine is licensed for the street and you will be able to do the same. I don't have any parts for your bike but I will gladly help with patterns for certain pieces like the seat board and numerous other things and other information.

I would suggest that you contact Yesterdays Rides and buy a reprint of the original parts book so you know what things originally looked like and then plan what you wish to do.

The only [good and complete] original engine I ever ran across was a firm $1900, These are the most expensive minibikes to restore and a unrestored but almost complete 46 a couple of years ago went for about 5 grand.

Last edited:
The rear tire has been flipped and the sprocket is now on the right. There is a jackshaft mounted that caused the wheel to be flipped and it has horrible bearings that will have to go. The original jackshaft was belt driven from the motor and that assembly was an aluminum casting and is missing. The 46 had a throttle/brake system that would set the rear brake when the throttle was closed. Some of those pieces were moved to the left side to be with the brake drum when the wheel was flipped. The 'floor boards' are missing. The rear 'fender' is gone as is the fuel tank mounts. The frame is slightly bent up front...this is very common with these machines. It is easily detected when the rear of the front fender is that close to the front of the frame.

OK, the above may seem to be bad mouthing your machine excessively but the picture I attached of my 46 was the result of having even a worse example to start with. You have the original front and rear wheels and brake drum and etc. I didn't and substituted other hand made pieces and other 'sorta close' pieces. [My 4" rims are from Harbor Freight!]. Google Yesterdays Rides Metalworks, Inc. It is near Portland OR and the guy makes an amazing array of parts. And he is a great guy! I bought some pieces from him, such as the side panels, and ended up with a 46 Hiawatha that only a Hiawatha nut would quickly know was not right. Plus mine is licensed for the street and you will be able to do the same. I don't have any parts for your bike but I will gladly help with patterns for certain pieces like the seat board and numerous other things and other information.

I would suggest that you contact Yesterdays Rides and buy a reprint of the original parts book so you know what things originally looked like and then plan what you wish to do.

The only [good and complete] original engine I ever ran across was a firm $1900, These are the most expensive minibikes to restore and a unrestored but almost complete 46 a couple of years ago went for about 5 grand.

PM sent...