Pleas Allow Me To Introduce Myself And My Cimatti

New to the forum , not new to old bikes. Looking forward to chatting on this great forum. I now have in my possession a 1972 Cimatti Bobcat in quite nice original condition. It doesn't run, but it looks nice. I think I know the history, but likely you folks know more. I believe when new, it was sold by the Gamble's Department store in Western Canada. Online I have seen the same bike, branded as a Viking.
DSC06305.JPG

Welcome to the forum. Great looking bike. Would be interesting to see it operational.

You have to love the construction of the tie bar on the handle bars. Makes one wonder how many foreheads were gashed open on that square edge and how many teeth were knocked out. lol...

Doug

Hello. Great looking bike; get it running!
Well that's my plan, I want to hear this run for the first time. The flywheel and condenser is missing. I have spent hours on the net researching exactly what engine I have, and come up with Morini Franco Motori Turbo Star 5S. Can anyone here confirm this? I'm really stuck for a parts source as well. MorinifrancoUSA has parts, but only for modern machines. I'm always checking the usual places like eBay Craigslist, KIJIJI. I even peruse sites in Italy and Europe. I sense these were not popular in USA, but if anyone has a correct flywheel I'd love to hear from you. I'll put up an ad in the Wanted section when i get beyond 5 posts. DSC06303.JPG

I did some searching; you do have a tough one, there. I can't read Italian, so I didn't learn much. The most promising thing I found was DeNardis Engines, a USA manufacturer of Morini Franco design engines, but it appears to be the same company as Morini Franco USA, and you've "been there, done that". DeNardis Engines has an S6 replacement engine, but it has no transmission, just a centrifugal clutch, and it doesn't look anywhere near as good as your engine; no radial fin head and, obviously, no transmission case. If these bikes were sold in the USA, they probably weren't popular, as you've mentioned. It's more of a mini motorcycle than typical minibike, much more elaborate, so I imagine it was relatively expensive. Also, Italian motorcycles had a rather bad reputation, back then. If someone wanted one despite those factors, they probably were quite difficult to locate.

As is, you have a non-operational bike that's very cool. There are people who have collections of vehicles they never drive/ride.

At the risk of getting flamed: You could replace the engine with something readily available. Obviously, you would want to avoid modifying the frame; tricky, but possible. The 125cc Lifan engine w/ 4-speed manual trans seems to be a popular replacement engine and they are inexpensive. The horizontal cylinder is not ideal and probably wouldn't work with the bike's downtubes. However, the downtubes are bolt-on and could be removed, stored, and replaced by fabricated ones. Adapter plates could probably be fabricated to mount the engine to avoid modifying the bike's frame. Then, there is the 200cc Lifan 5-speed, which would look more appropriate with it's vertical (inclined forward) cylinder, and it should work with the original downtubes, but it may be too tall for the frame. Both engines are 4-strokes, so no 2-stroke cool factor. There used to be lots of air cooled 2-stroke motocross bikes; I remember seeing some with radial finned heads. That could be a good way to go, the right sound, close to proper appearance, and parts availability of a Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki or Suzuki. As I said, an engine swap without modifying the frame wouldn't be easy, but I've seen it done with fabricated adapter plates. Cutting off the original mounts and fabricating/welding new mounts would be easier, but I would be reluctant to do that to such a fine rare bike.

Hey, if nothing else, give it a detail cleaning/polishing and park it in the living room! It's that cool, IMO.

Thanks for your help searching, and your insightful post. This mini has been a garage queen for over four decades from the PO, so now I want to find it's missing organ and bring her back to life. I currently have a 1965 Honda garage queen, but it will start and run.
I read your Lifan transplant with interest. But I don't want be that guy who changed out the Italian motori for a Chinese clone. I know the Lifan has it's place, and it's a good engine now, but it belongs in project frames and Honda Cubs.
Recently I did come across a possible replacement rotor on eBay Italy, however he listed three, and they came in slightly different dimensions, which only confused the issue for me. I've only just joined the OldMiniBikes craze, so I can wait to hopefully find the correct one. My thinking is someone here likely has what I need. I'm usually pretty good at getting unobtainable stuff. One third the fun of restoring old bikes is finding parts.

For the last two weeks Ive been searching, but I haven't come up with a flywheel, so I can get this Cimatti running. Still dead in the water. Hanging out here at OldMiniBikes has caused me to stray, and given me a greater appreciation for old minis. In the meantime perhaps I will get another mini that will actually run. Searching the photos onsite I find I have a passion for what I'll call snowmobile mini bikes. Moto Skeeter, Rupp and Arctic Cat.

This may be totally pointless advice but your engine reminds me of the Italian equivalent of German Fitchel & Sachs engines. Sachs made a huge variety of moped and motorcycle engines for many decades. Sachs engines were used on Arctic Cats, Fox, Coleman, and Speedway bikes, not to mention the moped world. Some of their designs shared very similar, sometimes identical, parts inside. Many Sachs flywheels look almost identical, despite their subtle differences and may even be interchangeable.

I'm wondering if there are cross compatible flywheels from other models your engine manufacturer made, or at least something that could be adapted to do the job. The condenser should be easier to find something compatible.

I would hold out hope for finding the right part or something adaptable rather than harm a single hair on that bikes head. It's too nice and complete as-is. If they were sold at Gambles, there have to be more out there. Where there are more, there has to be someone with a spare flywheel, or at least one willing to share photos and detailed dimensions. Worst case, maybe someone will loan you one that you can have reproduced.

Don't give up hope.

Yeah you're right, there are other manufacturers that used this engine, Attex, Malaguti Italjet to name a few. I guess it's still early in the search, so yeah more time and searching. I'm going to try and advertise out west where Gambles had a presence.

Nice bike, I really like the looks of those tires that have the tread wrapped around the sidewall, could you post what brand they are? Thanks, enjoy.

I moved the bike to a garage over an hour away so I can't see what tires they are. I'll let you know when I get back to the Cimatti. I will guess Pirelli.

I got a rotor, I got a rotor. It took me almost a year but I finally identified the correct rotor and found a NOS one in Italy. It will take a few weeks to arrive, so in the meantime I can source the mounting nut and washer, plus a condenser.