Please Help Identify This Odd Power Products Mini

Hello, I picked this up 20 years ago at a swap meet. No idea what it is or if maybe it is just a really well home built?
It is powered by a Power Products engine.
It has no markings anywhere and has also been repainted. It is a lot smaller than most minibikes! It has 4" rims, 31" wheelbase, 21" seat height. It also has a friction rear brake, working telescopic front fork and a sprung seat.
It did have the more open flywheel cover on it which I am going to put back on.
I dont know what fuel tank should be on it?
Any help identifying or any other info would be great!

Thanks!!

Last edited:

CarPlayLB

Those are illegal in Canada and you should send it to me!

I have no idea what it is..other than pure awesomeness! I love that! It is way cool!
Thanks for sharing the pic!

...and welcome to the best mini bike site on the planet!

Lol, did not know they were illegal. Thanks for the reply.

It is a super cool little bike, probably why its one of the only toys that I haven't sold in the last 20 something years.

Seems like a great site! Been lurking for a while, just joined.
Hopefully somebody has knows what I have.

Motra

Car play was joking about it being illegal. That is quite an oddball. That might be built by an early scooter manufacturer. Sometimes they made small bikes like that for pilots of small planes to use or for people to transport in the trunks of their cars and stuff. Check out this site too:US Scooters built before 1970

I have a similar engine

My Power Products 1000 engine looks very similar. I am collecting parts and ideas for a build that resembles an old bike. Kustom Kart Kid posted a ton of great photos from the Herb Singe collection; one is a tiny bike with the identical engine as mine.

See 4th photo down, red bike, and another one of the same red bike further down the page:

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/mini-bike-events/43145-minibike-scooter-museum-photos.html

My engine:

Your fan shroud is drilled for a rewind (you said you have it) so your flywheel "nut" has an opening to receive the rewind. It looks like your bike has a long minibike-style muffler and also those protective shields made from chrome plated rod stock.

Your bike has no fuel tank? :detective:

Your engine is missing the serial number plate? Mine is "riveted" on with two steel push-in pins with rounded heads:

Mine is missing the air filter assembly. Your air filter does not appear to look like the Power Products 1000 engine photos I have seen here and there.

From what I can find, the Power Products company was started in Grafton, WI just after WWII by a couple of OMC (Outboard Marine Corporation) engineers that had previously designed OMC's pre-WWII outboard boat motors.

I have a very-hard-to-read parts breakdown for the 1000. I am curious if your engine is a variant of the 1000 or a whole different engine. A photo of the rewind cover will assist.

Never seen that frame before. That should be an interesting bike to research.

Last edited:
Looks home built, I believe the forks are Honda 50 units. I like the way it's engineered with the remote mounted Mercury clutch on the jackshaft

Thanks for the links!
Here is a picture a Power Products engine that has the same sorta flywheel cover (except it was aluminum) as what came on this bike when I got it.

The flywheel cover that is on it now does appear to have threaded holes for a rewind but unfortunately I do not have one. It has the pulley on it for using just a loose rope...which I think is neater anyway.

No there is no information plate on the engine. I am going to have to do some research.

No I do not have a fuel tank. Not sure what it had originally.

I do have two more Power Products engines in a box. I can check to see if I have an air cleaner. Do you have a picture of the style you need?

Forks are definitely not anything Honda. Plus they are way smaller then a 50 fork.

I just looked up Mercury Clutch and came up with this:

Sure looks like the right clutch. Can the clutch help date this bike?

I do have two more Power Products engines in a box. I can check to see if I have an air cleaner. Do you have a picture of the style you need?
Sure! If you have one then I'd be pleased to buy it from you. These photos are not of my engine, but does show the correct part:

Last edited:

bandit 40

I picked up 2 of those model 1000 power products 2 smokers this year with the Tillotson carb I believe made right here in Toledo, Ohio.

The red scooter in Herb Singe's collection appears to be a mostly complete Argyle "Cub". Online research suggests those were built with various engines including the 1000 and AH-47.

The AH-47 seems to have been more common, and more powerful. Your bike should be nicely powered.

Perusing the site linked by Motra, there is not a frame like yours there. Nice site, I have seen photos from the collections there in the past.

The Tillotson carb on mine looks like a Toledo, OH piece.