Please wear a helmet and be safe.

Bay Shore teen riding minibike dies in crash with SUV -- Newsday.com

Coincidentally I crashed on Saturday night at exactly the same time. I was turning around in a small cul-de-sac and the engine was surging. I hit the kill switch and was standing on the brake. It keep shutting down and then surging pretty hard. I turned up a driveway and across a lawn of a corner house. The foot peg caught the grass and then all hell broke loose. I would not let Thor go. My feet were off and I went for the ride. I took a handlebar to the ribs, giant raspberry on my right hip and scraps on every elbow and knee. I am ok, just a little sore. Thor started right up and I rode home.

I have already taken off the foot pegs and installed collapsible ones. I rode it yesterday. VERY SLOWLY.

it sucks that he died, but it sounds like it was all his fault considering he broadsided an SUV and must have been hauling ass.

it would also be nice if they said pit bike instead of mini bike.

same here. if there's a car i stop (or at least slow to a creep) and wave them on. that way there's no confusion as to who is going to do what.

Parliament, et. all

So sorry to hear both very sad stories. I always say!!! "Be safe and Sane."

I can give you two examples:

One kid in Junior High School lost a Leg on a Honda 50 (1974?)
I was chasing a friend who had a beer and went for a ride, I was two seconds behind two riders, trying to get them to wear a helmet. I was in 5th. gear in mid air when a squid thought the rider's had passed. Oh O!. At fifty or half throttle mid air I hit him dead on and had on flat jac, boots, full face helmet, the works, I broke my left collarbone. I was lucky. My friend cruised back looked at my shoulder, to drunk to drive my 1982 Chevy 4X4 home for me. I had to drive myself and them home and go to the Hospital. Kaiser Permantently... Sept. 1985 Had to call the Drywall Taping Contractor I was working Union for letting them know I was on th DL list. Insul Acoustics, Whittier Hilton, CA. The guy I hit dead on in the left leg, let the clutch out three-four seconds too early and I was racing with two very fast brothers on my 1983 CR 125.... :thumbdown:

TT

Wear protection and use you brain!

BTW, I told this same story to Bob Hanna and he said "I should have crossed it up and hit him with the rear wheel instead."

Last edited:
Unfortunately,I don't think a helmet would have helped in his case or maybe it could have but we'll never know now.Helmet saved my life twice on my sport bike,I NEVER ride without it,even with my bycycle,I wear a bike helmet,you just never know.A friend of mine was on a bike path when this guy came around a corner and slammed into my friend and knock him unconcious and broke some bones,he recovered but he WAS wearing a helmet,thank god.

SpyGuy

Watched a buddy of mine wipe out on the track (front end locked up, right over the bars), and an oncoming bike plowed right into his helmet while trying to avoid him. The Shoei took a beating, but at least it wasn't his skull ..... He DID sit out the rest of the day with one hell of a headache, though.

Now I need to work on a brake. The brake handle I have does not fit on the handlebars. I am going to have to get something else. I have been stopping by shutting the engine off and using me feet.

Wearing a helmet sucks but I always do . I have a 3/4 helmet for the highway but need to find a helmet a bit lighter for the mini bike use. What kind are one step above the so called skid lid a lot of HD riders use to pass the Man. Steve :scooter:

I have 2 helmets,one full face helmet for driving in wooded areas so I don't get hit in the eyes by tree branches and also for high speed driving and a half helmet with goggles for drives on pave or dirt roads on hot days where a full face is too hot and goggles for bugs,I hate when bugs get caught in my eye and you can't get em out!:thefinger:

Every kid is selling their Go-ped in my area. Craigslist is more than flooded with Go peds. Mommies must be fretting that Junior might get dead or something. I was thinking about buying one and giving it to the kid across the street, I caught him throwing rocks at my house once.

Helmet? What's that?
It's a thing that hold your brains in when you get stupid! ;)

I have had a few close call myself and my helmet saved me from permanent damage.

15 years ago, a fireman buddy of mine from my bicycle club was on a road bike riding at 20 mph when he hit a dirt ramp that a construction crew had built so they could get up the curb. He didn't like to wear a helmet on training rides and only wore one when racing. He suffered severe brain damage in the fall. Went to see him in hospital and I left crying (and I NEVER cry). His left eye was wandering all over the place, he had a scar across the side of his head and his memory was gone. He called everyone "buddy", even when he thought he recognized them. The fire dept had to let him go. He was put on permanent disability and never got a whole lot better. Well, his eye stopped wandering, but he was always confused and just a real mess. He had a super wife and 2 kids. So sad.