power sport 6.5 crank end play

I have a pack mule with a tecumseh power sport 6.5 and I've notice it has quite a bit of crankshaft end-play. I didn't measure, but estimate 1/16" or so.
There is no wobble.
How is the end-play adjusted on these?:shrug:
Is it just by using a thinner gasket?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Usually crank endplay is adjusted by using a shim or spacer between the gear on the crank and the side cover, or output bearing if it has one. 1/16 of an inch end play on a stock engine is probably normal though.

Usually crank endplay is adjusted by using a shim or spacer between the gear on the crank and the side cover, or output bearing if it has one. 1/16 of an inch end play on a stock engine is probably normal though.
Thanks. It runs fine, so I guess I'll leave it until it craps and replace it with a B&S.

Well, I decided not to leave it at 1/16th or so. The tech manual calls for .008, but doesn't say how to adjust. It already has a thin gasket. Sooooo...... I went to Napa and got three different sizes of gasket material and then went to True Value and got a 1" machine bushing (it looks like a thin washer with a 1" hole. I put the bushing on the crankshaft, put two pieces of gasket material (one medium cork and the other thin fiber type). I then torqued the cover back on and Voila! :smile:, reduced end play! Well, I guess time will tell if I should've left it alone.

And oh ya, it's a OHH60, not a 65.