Prepping engine for paint?

C9H13NO3

Scrub it down with some carb cleaner or buy some degreaser. Dry it off and you should be good. Just make sure that there is no grease in the area to be painted or the paint won't stick.

joekd

Take off everything you possibly can, disassembling is the only way to get it to come out right

Nothing looks worse then when someone just spray paints something and goes over the bolt heads, hoses, etc

Are you painting the block or just the shroud, tank and other pieces?

Sieve

Its an HS50. I am doing The shroud, block, air cleaner, and mabey the carb if its possible.

Last edited:

C9H13NO3

The more you take off the better it will look because it will be cleaner looking. Take off the carb, the exhaust, everything. Make sure to tape off all the ports and all open holes.

Sieve

Carb and exaust are off. Lets say I wanted to paint the carb separtly a different color. How would I go about doing that?

All of the old HS engines were painted AFTER they were assembled which included the carb. I personally don't do mine that way because I like the "seperate" look so I guess it's just personal preferance. IF you just want to do a spray can restore job make sure it is complete and clean as possible and make sure to get ALL the loose stuff (dirt/grease/loose paint) off and just shoot it with like semi gloss engine paint from the auto parts store.

We like to bead blast the head, then leave it unpainted, too. Engine paints work well but look for one that is gas resistant so a small gas spill won't ruin your paint job. These old motors will be going on model P and B Tote Gotes.

Sieve

Should i remove the flywheel? If so how would i do that, I have the nut off now the wheels just there. Is that an easy task with basic tools?

I just painted an engine with Rustoleum Engine Paint and it completely peeled off with a very small drop of gas. I was told that VHT Engine Paint works good or Dupli-Color, if you are going to be using a spray can. Make sure you clear coat it after and that before you paint the surface is clean.

VHT Engine Enamel
Nick