Price check help real quick

Sorry, im a newbie and not sure if price check rules etc but in need in next half hour.

Decided to finally pull trigger on getting a bike. Going with the DB. There is a local guy with one for sale $250, says its mint except, i love that, mint except stuff. Anyway, says choke lever broke but he's put another fix on there and there "was" rust in tank but he cleaned it, said he almost bought a new one but hasnt. Other than that runs great and no dings etc.

Another local guy that says he's is for only $50 and only needs new pull rope, this one hasnt called me back after leaving messages so not sure how trust worthy on this one. I figure even if he gets back to me for only $50 i can get another.

So $250, do it? Reason i'm asking is not too many for sale so its tough for me to gauge.

Thanks in advance, i'm sure you'll be seeing more of me. Bug bite looks awful nasty.

Sorry, just read the "what its worth" sticky. Delete me if you must, understood. I tried deleting but just see an edit.
Welcome to OldMiniBikes..and dont worry...you can make one mistake on here free of charge. Any after that and we send a local member over to stand on your throat.:laugh:...kidding!
And to answer your question...it really depends on what you plan to do with it. If your gonna change the motor and modify it..go with the cheaper bike. If your gonna leave it alone and drive it...get the better one.

Welcome to OldMiniBikes..and dont worry...you can make one mistake on here free of charge. Any after that and we send a local member over to stand on your throat.:laugh:...kidding!
And to answer your question...it really depends on what you plan to do with it. If your gonna change the motor and modify it..go with the cheaper bike. If your gonna leave it alone and drive it...get the better one.
Thanks for the understanding. On my regular forum (micro rc stuff) i hate guys like me. We'll for now it needs to run as its a christmas gift for family. However, just like all my projects, i am sure i'll make it my own. I know from the RC world i would have save tons of money buying parts and building instead of buying new and scrapping all the stock parts over time. I figure its the same here. If it runs and no frame problems i just wanted to make sure i'm not wasting too much money. As i can't find "new" ones anywhere to guage new vs used price. How much did they go for new before the frame change?

I would offer him less though. Kick the tires and remind him the choke is broken.:laugh:. Brand new they were under 300bucks for the old style.

Assuming that the DB bike selling for $ 250.00 still has the stock (crappy) engine- You are getting SCREWED for that price.:eek:ut:
Michael

Christmas 2011 I bought a brand new new style at sears for $275.

A few months later I bought a rebuilder old style for $125. They hit craigslist all the time from $50. to $200. around here

Thanks guys, good to know. Thats just the feedback i needed. I want to do by christmas but i'll just let him know $250 is too much and keep looking. I am pretty sold on the DB so hopefully something comes up here soon. But, SoCal, seems like its all over priced from what i can tell. Except for mac"s off to me on the arco, but like i said, i think im sticking to the db for now.

Before you walk away, have you even made an offer on it? Although not a "great" price, as Sinner70 stated, $ 150.00 would be a "fair" price. Offer him $ 100.00 then let him counteroffer and eventually compromise at $ 150.00. You've got to play the game...
Michael

well he listed originally at 300, i offered 150 and he's now at his bottom he says at 200. Although it may be a bit over priced, i'll go look at it and see. Even if i pay the 200, it goes back to what was said earlier, its worth what its worth to you. I'd be ok with 200 if it looks and runs as good as he says. Hate to miss out on it for a lousy $50. plus im impatient and that trait only costs you, never the other way.

I am suppose to go look at it today. I'll let you know. Thanks again for all the input, especially in a thread that shoulda been deleted...