Project MBX10 Full Suspension

I've been a lurker here for a while and have only really posted a few times, but figured i'd put up my newest project. I'm adding from shocks and rear suspension to a Motovox MBX10. This includes fabrication of a new front end, swingarm, jackshaft, frame support for monoshock mount, and replacement of foot pegs to allow for added degree of banking. Currently a work in progress, so i'll keep posting as i receive parts or finish fabrication:

My MBX10 had been lightly modified to allow for the addition of an HF Pred 212. The added power was really great, though it is so torqie with the relatively short wheelbase of the MBX10 that the bike was easily flipped. I figured the best way to prevent this was to lengthen the wheelbase, though, the usage of the bike made me go an alternate route. As this is primarily used on rough track, lenthening via a swingarm and monoshock seemed more appropriate.

Here's the bike torn down to the frame with everything strewn about... don't judge... i'm renovating the house also... everything is a freakin disaster over here.

Started with the swingarm as i had not yet received the materials for my front end build. Used 1" square steel tube starting at 20" to make the main kicker. The stock real axle mounts were cut from the frame and re-utilized on the swingarm.

Received the components i needed for my jackshaft setup. Welded the mounts on and test inserted the mount bearings and shaft. The mounts fit rather nicely into rear frame bend and made for a nice long weld attachment. I won't have a good idea of sprocket placement until i receive my clutch.

Received my front end components in the mail. Opted to keep close to stock ride height partly because i'm trying not to throw a whole lot of cash at this, and because i could get my hands on a Honda CRF50 front end very easily. Ebay sellers post them up for nothing as they replace the gold stock forks with upgraded items. I happened to get the forks for 17 bucks. They looked like this when i got em:

And then like this after i cut off the lower fork brace. The brace is welded to the fork itself, so it needed to be cut and ground. You're left with the forks which is what i was interested in anyway.

Size comparison between the MBX10 stock front end and one of the CRF50 shocks.

Given the size of the shock heads, i needed to cut new mounts. The stock was sized and designed differently from the stock components of the MBX10. 10"x2.5"x1/4" steel bar would do the trick for both the top mount and the lower brace.

And bolted onto the neck with the wheel installed. Still needs to receive the lower brace.

Not bad for a couple hours worth of work. As soon as i motivate again, i'll post more up. To come is frame and swingarm additions to mount the monoshock as well as lower fork clamp creation (need to borrow a drill press to get the holes right), and full install of the jackshaft sprockets.

trinik7597

nice hd i like the innovation :thumbsup: i guess motovox just made the suspention front end from the mbx11 available but i like what you're doing

Trinik.. thanks. I know that Motovox makes a front end for the 11, and i'd been eyeing it, though the CRF50 forks were the cheaper route at 17 bucks and free shipping...and a little more robust for the punishment that this little ride will be given. It generally comes out for the local Motorcycle Club that i enjoy the company of, so between rock strewn hilly fields to frozen ponds this thing will be beat. I needed the mod on the front. Not that i don't like Motovox. I love the frame at least :thumbsup:

Firemarshall.. heh... i was wearing my one piece lined Carhart work suit. My basement workshop is cold as hell also. Cut off from the rest of the house. What you don't see behind the pictures is the floor full of half finished cabinets that are being refaced, doors that are in mid-paint, and the ceiling tiles that i just ripped down from the rest of the finished portion of the basement.

Did a little more work on the swingarm this morning.

Angled the front swingarm legs inward to account for narrowing at the frame. I have one more leg section to weld on to allow for connection to the jackshaft which also serves as the pivot point. I wanted the jackshaft sprocket and the swingarm pivot to be one-in-the-same to avoid slacking & tensioning that would be the result from monoshock flex.

Here's the fab minus the forward legs.

And here's the mockup of about how long the swingarm will be.

At this point, it looks a little weird. Swingarm itself is about 17 inches long. The little tires on it make the ride look weird. I think later on down the line i'm going to look at picking up some larger wheels and tires. Preferably staying within the same 7-8" width zone... narrower being an acceptable option. Would increase my ride height.

Still have to fab the mount for the monoshock on the swingarm and frame, but i have to think through the angle so i get a decent compression of the shock.

Anyway... i need coffee.

And yah... i know the tire is mounted backwards. I need the drive sprocket on the right for the jackshaft, but i havent demounted/remounted yet.

Mods should make for a nice ride! Bigger tires would be good too! How about a full pict of the bike mocked up so we can visualize it? Nice job!

Opted to forego the stock tires and wheels. 145/70-6 just looked too queer and small on the bike for the mods that i'm doing. So, 20x7-8. I figure, at least i'll have a decent sized wheel so that i can upgrade further in the future if need be.

And so i wait... again.

IJG

Extreme mod'

I would consider this an extreme mod'
& looking forward to see the outcome.
Love the fork work man.:thumbsup:

I would consider this an extreme mod'
& looking forward to see the outcome.
Love the fork work man.:thumbsup:
Thanks, chief. I appreciate it. I have an actual MOTORCYCLE in the basement now that is in need of me finishing some fab work, but i have not yet motivated to complete. New tank needs painting, fender support needs to be welded to the swingarm, fender struts need to be welded, fender needs to be painted... love that motorcycle, but i havent had a chance to work on it yet with all the other projects around. So... here's a picture in the meantime... my other bike:

More to come soon. I believe the new wheels/tires/sprocket should be delivered today, and i'm expecting the new clutch momentarily as well. I'll be posting up more pictures of what i'll have to do to the swingarm to mount the new wheel setup.

Pretty much, i have to get the bulk of the rest of my work done on Saturday and Sunday because next weekend i have an ice race which i'm already entered in.

UPDAAAAAATES!!!

Got in some new stuff. New MaxTorque clutch from OldMiniBikes and my new 20x7-8 wheels and tires from BMI.

First, here's a quick pic of what the frame looks like in mock-up sans the wheels, and obviously the rear suspension is not hooked up:

Obviously, with the stocker wheels and rims i couldnt get the stance out of the bike that i was really looking for. The stockers were 145/70-6. Had issues finding a set of tires worthy of the new stance requirement, soooo... BMI had a nice set of Kenda Scorpions, wheels, and sprocket up for grabs. 20x7-8. Here's a size compare of the stockers and the new hottness:

Pretty massive... AND AWESOME!. I don't think i was prepared for just HOW big the things would be.

A quick mock up on the bike brought a few things to light:

1: I need to re-do the fork mounts. They're a hair too narrow, and not due to the tire. It's the wheel hubs that are wide.

2: I need to do a minor edit on the swingarm to accommodate the big ass rubber. I'm just going to cut the rear wheel tabs off and make them a tad longer, moving the axle hole back a tad. I think they'll actually overhang the very rear of the swingarm, but, no biggee. 1/4" thick mounting tabs should be more than plenty sufficient.

3: The front axle is too short. Need a longer one by about an inch... and neither the front nor the rear are large enough. The stock 1/2" dia axles are not going to cut it. That's the only thing that kinda pisses me off because i can't get something like that locally.

And here's the mock-up, and i threw the handlebars on to see how i liked it (i think i'm going to fab some simple risers):

I know that there's been no work because i JUST got home, but damn... i had to post up because i think this thing is going to be monstrous.