Proper way to ship a motor

Hi everybody. Got some motors sold to buyers outside of my hometown in Kansas City and will need to ship them out but don't know where to begin. Sending out a heavy Briggs 5 HP and received $50 to send it to California. Would love to hear from those of you who have done it, and maybe a tip or two on how to box it. Thanks. bs1.JPG

Get a box about 2 inches bigger on all sides than the motor. Cut a piece of ply wood the size of the bottom of the box. Stick it all the bottom. I use chunks of foam and put all around the motor. I'd but a chunk under the gas tank of this motor. Get a square of foam and stick it over the shaft. Kinda poke the shaft through it. If it does move around during shipping you don't want that poking through the box. Fill other gaps in box with crumpled up news paper and stick some foam on top. Just a layer to keep the box from slamming down on it. Believe me the guy carrying the box and loading it doesn't care how long it took you to make that motor look the way it does. He worried about happy hour. Get good shipping tape and tape it up. Oh ya drain fluids first.

The engine in the photo is beautiful... very nice work.

I had sent off my Honda 50 engine to the east coast for work and I had bolted the unit to a plywood base and used lots of bubble wrap and 3 cardboard boxes. The person who did the engine work returned it bubble wrapped and packaged it in a Tupperware container of the appropriate size and the lid was secured with tie wraps. That procedure seems to work for him, for he rebuilds many small Honda engines.

Unfortunately, however it's packaged it will be costly to ship.

--Doug

Yep, drain the fluids and warp it in a trash bag and then pack it like you would want to receive it basically. I bolt mine to 1/4" plywood and pack it tight all around with soft but firm packing material, carpet padding works well but foam or foam rubber does too. You basically do not want the engine to move nor do you want an impact to send harder packing material into the engine. I've shipped many small engines and never had any damage. Also we would love it if you offered some engines here in the classifieds.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Motors

5hp11.JPG 5hp9.JPG 5hp7.JPG Thanks for the packing tips, What should I expect to pay using USPS? The flat rate boxes are too small. So would I use standard post? I Have more motors. A nice HS50 with light coil mini bike specific. Wanted to post here, still might if there is interest. This is currently on Ebay. I will show you guys a 3.5 Tecumseh side popper I will have ready tomorrow.:thumbsup:

delray

i don't want to burst your bubble buddy,but if your going to call it a Professional restoration minibike engine? you better get rid of that snowblower intake......:doah: (Model stamp and serial# are gone).......:doah:

george3

Isnt the sticker kit for an earlier engine? The exhaust port is HS-40 not HS-50 oops. what did you fill the numbers in with?

Last edited:
Read all your guys post, and needed the response. Thank you, made some revisions. Delray,sorry you did break my bubble. Motor had no intake or carb, so I bought them to complete the project. Stickers were cooler than the the bubble type. What did I fill the numbers in with? George3..I would never call You a fraud on this your own public forum. I admittedly have been away from this hobby for a long time, but am not out to deceive anybody. Thanks for all the input, and don't call me Buddy.

Hey Albert, nice stand down! I hate seeing guys dogpiled on by :censure:eek:'s especially a new guy, welcome to OldMiniBikes, sorry for the "hot" welcoming. You had a nice thread going, good question cos I didn't really know how to ship an engine (right) either. Beautiful work on both engines, it'll look great on any minibike it goes on. Suck the stickers:thumbsup:

capguncowboy

What did I fill the numbers in with?
I think he's asking about the serial/model numbers on top of the shroud. They're filled in with something. Most mini bike guys want to know that info so they can properly ID the year, etc.

You do beautiful work, even if all the technicalities aren't exactly right.

delray

buy now for $500 and it comes with a snow blower intake. are you f:censure: kidding me
i see we took out the Professional restoration minibike engine under your Description and couple other things too........:thumbsup:

i could tell you where your ID tag is. if you would like to know........?

buy now for $500 and it comes with a snow blower intake. are you f:censure: kidding me
i see we took out the Professional restoration minibike engine under your Description and couple other things too........:thumbsup:

i could tell you where your ID tag is. if you would like to know........?
Why don't you tell me where my ID tag is buddy, then I could correct all these inconsistentcys and get you off my back. Auction starts much lower..sounds fair to me. BTW it could very well be a HS40. I intend to work this all out

delray

first year tecumseh change over to the square style covers on the 5hp models i have found two factory minibikes made by fox (thunder bolt) that had no ID tag stamp on top of the square covers. the only thing they use for a ID was a very small ID tag that was mounted on the side of the engine with one screw and no it was not a replacement engine. so if there is no ID tag stamp on top of you cover? it could of been one of the years?

5hp tecumseh with out the stamp numbers.

side view of the cover. notes there is no extra tin covers for a electric start. for example,a snowblower engine would have.

how can you be asking $500(buy it now) for a motor you don't even know the bore size? that tells me the engine still has the original rings,valves...etc... and is just painted up ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,buddy

plus $45 for shipping
total for $545.........:doah:

There was a great thread on packing and shipping a engine but I can't find it. :doah: Bolting the engine to a piece of plywood does really protect it. I remember maybe TRK, said he would wrap it in a black trash bag and fill the box with spray insulation. I never tried that but I thought that idea was pretty clever.:laugh: