putting a clutch on a tecuseh motor

weve

I have a 3.5 hp tecumseh motor I was planning on putting in my Rutman frame. It had a pully on it when I bought it which was held on by a bolt in the center of the pully and a set screw. It is a 3/4 inch shaft with no key way in it Is it possiable to put a clutch on this type of crank shaft I didnt know it was a round smooth shaft until I removed the pully any Ideas would be helpfull

buckeye

Tough keeping the cluch from spinning on the shaft without a key.
Maybe take it and get one cut in.
I have seen the Alabama way. Dremmel your own keyway.

weve

Iam new to this and I guess I picked up the wrong motor I thought they would all be the same. The shaft has a square hole in it and at the end it is threaded for a bolt .

buckeye

A square hole. Well, I have have heard of a round peg in a square hole but never seen it. :laugh:
You have photos.

Welcome to the fun.

buckeye

All kidding aside, a photo would really help.
Do you have a clutch? I am pretty sure you need a keyed shaft so the clutch can lock onto the crank shaft.
A photo says a thousand words.
Maybe someone smarter than me will chime in. That's all I got brotha.

weve

Update after I got the pully off I got a better look at the crank shaft. Somebody cut or broke the end of the crank off. Then they forced a 14mm craftsmen socket over the end and put the pully over that I guess I,ll start looking for a new motor

buckeye

You could just replace the crank.:shrug:

I knew there had to be more to the story. Your description just didn't add up.

WrenchDad

Update after I got the pully off I got a better look at the crank shaft. Somebody cut or broke the end of the crank off. Then they forced a 14mm craftsmen socket over the end and put the pully over that I guess I,ll start looking for a new motor
Thats got to be one of the most creative things I've ever heard of. Scary but creative. That must have been a promotional gimmick, free craftsman socket set with purchase of the motor.

Just kidding, I hope it works out for you, That sucks when you buy something you need just to find out it's all jacked up.

that sucks . if the motor is in good shape other then the crank problem just swap it out . not to hard to do take ya about 2 hours max . and thats really pushing it with a lot of breaks . i would pm therestorekid on there and ask him about a crank for your motor . hes really good about getting some strange parts and easy on the prices he asks too . if you look i have a tech thread on doing a crank swap http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/engines-modifications/46326-how-change-crank.html granted its for doing a briggs block but a tec aint all that different :doah: few more spacers and maybe a snap ring under the seal if its got a ball bearing case . but the thread will give you a good idea how to go ahead and get int here . just keep track of what went where and you should be fine . :thumbsup: