Putting a plate on a 74 CT70k3?

So heres the deal, my old man bought me a 74 Honda trail 70 when i asked for a dirtbike at 8 years old. And boy did i ride the hell out of it lol. Up until the day it locked up, at which point it got put in the barn and was never ridden again until about 4 months ago. I finally got my own house with a garage and space to keep my toys so the first thing i did was go get my old CT70.

Turns out what had happened was the teeth on the timing sprocket wore down from just age which inevitably let the timing chain slip which in turn smashed the piston into the valves. pretty much what is to be expected in a situation like that. So ive put new valves in, new piston, timing sprocket, the rubber guide for timing chain. Pretty much everything is replaced and will be ready to run as soon as the timing chain and gasket kit i ordered get here.

Ok, now that you got the back story and somewhat of the sentimental value it has to me its time to get to my real question. Lets be honest, im 22 with no kids and have no use for a little dirtbike other than sitting in my garage collecting dust (however i wouldnt be able to bring myself to sell it or let it sit around). So i would love to plate it, ride it to the gas station, here and there, or whatever. But in Ohio (which i live in ohio) a dirt bike wasnt required to have a title up until like 2000. But my CT70 has a headlight, tail light, turn signals, horn, etc. Everything to make it street legal, so can any one please help steer me where i need to go or what to do to get a title so i can register and plate it. Everyone i talk to either doesnt know or says they think its really hard to get. And with my insane work hours i havnt been able to go to a title office or anything to ask them. But i know its got to be possible because ive seen it done but if anyone could please give me some advice id greatly appreciate it.

I've rebuilt quite a few CT70's over the years and live just west of Cleveland. Even though the 70's have lamps and were issued titles they were never on Ohio's list of approved street legal bikes. I always was upset by this due to having three that are titled in my name. If I want to cruise to the store I have to hop on my CT90 or ST90 which is a slightly bigger version of the Trail 70. I wish i could tell you how to get around it but???:shrug: My Ohio titles for the 70's are marked "off road use"

Get it plated in Vermont and ride on that plate. Vermont will not title anything older than 15 years or smaller than 300 CC's but you can get a plate and registration for $71 - good for a year if you value the bike at $500.

You will need Vermont DMV Form 119 and a bill of sale plus an inspection form from an Ohio police department.

Then see if Ohio will honor your Vermont registration. They should, if the police department puts the correct words in the remarks section of the inspection form.

I have done this three times here in Louisiana to eventually wind up with a Louisiana title.

Rick

Two CT90 and two ST90 bikes

Just make sure you cover up that "Off Road Use Only" sticker on the side of some years of CT70. Your inspection would not go very well for you if the officer saw that.

And remember - turn signals were not required here in the US until about 1973. If your bike is older than this, we used arm signals.

Rick

Well i appreciate some of your guys advice but i guess i should start with the fact i dont even have a title. So my first order of concern would be to obtain that, so where do i start on that one? I can say with 99% certainty that its not stolen so im not really worried about any legal trouble, but should i stick it in my truck and take it on down to the Troopers to have them run the vin, or grab paperwork first, or im not really sure the steps.

And as for plating it, it has to be possible, just a matter of how and if i figure out how ill be sure to post. I read up on the DMV site a little and had seen it said i would need a letter or proof from manufacture (honda) saying it meets all standards of DOT, etc. But with a title stating "off road use only" that would most likely say that wont happen. But with that being said, people build kit cars, dune buggies, hand built bikes, etc in which case there is no "manufacture" to contact because the owner is the builder and i know in an instance like that they have to get it inspected to verify its street legal and meets standards, so i dont wanna rule that its impossible just yet.

I don't think you'd have a problem in Mich..... You might have to have it inspected by the locals (to apply for a title) but maybe not even that IF you have the original paperwork for it (bill of sale OR legal title)... I know, just give it to me and I'll get the plate for you and ride it around for awhile (just to make sure)!!!!! LOL

Patch

WrenchDad

I don't know about Ohio but in PA. IF it was never titled you have to have a manufactures certificate of origin and file for a title then go from there. If the bike came from a dealer it should of had that. Most people don't keep or have them either because it's not used for anything legal. (unless you want to file for a title 30 years later.)Seeing as it is not a custom built or you are not the builder I'm assuming you don't have the MCO. IN the case of a dunebuggy or kitcar or T-bucket or something non standard They have to meet certain requirements to be legal and then, you can get them titled. Some vehicles cant be street legal (like a bike marked for off road use only) Like a Quad here in PA. a lot of them are titled and plated but cant be street legal.
I don't know if any of this helps, just some feedback. I would call your notary and ask them if it can be done they should be able to tell you "IF and HOW"
keep us posted.

maverick1

I don't think you'd have a problem in Mich..... You might have to have it inspected by the locals (to apply for a title) but maybe not even that IF you have the original paperwork for it (bill of sale OR legal title)... I know, just give it to me and I'll get the plate for you and ride it around for awhile (just to make sure)!!!!! LOL

Patch
In the process now of having a friend title one of my bikes in Mich. Bike is here in Florida with me. He said around $25. I will let you know how this works out.

ok, been doin a lot of researching online and i here a lot about mich, as in guys in ohio having someone in mich get a title and then mailing it to them and then just going down to the DMV to get there plates.

And unfortunately i have zero paperwork, i mean no bill of sale or anything. Ive had the thing for 10 or so years and when my old man bought it for me i dont think he really ever thought that id be still trying to ride it to the gas station at 22 so he never thought about asking the previous owner for paperwork lol.

Uh umm ...... I think you could probably get a friend to help you out with a bill of sale in a situation like this. Its not exactly criminal fraud here if you have had the bike this long and its not stolen. You simply need some paperwork to jump start a badly mechanized bureaucratic system.

Rick

I still think the Vermont route will work. It will at least get you into the DMV system somewhere to convince Ohio that you are serious about this. At $71 for a Vermont plate and registration but no title, you can at least give it some road use for a year while appealing to the Ohio DMV.

Rick

I still think the Vermont route will work. It will at least get you into the DMV system somewhere to convince Ohio that you are serious about this. At $71 for a Vermont plate and registration but no title, you can at least give it some road use for a year while appealing to the Ohio DMV.

Rick

Its easy took me 5 mins.

Fill this out for the original certificate of title and then take it to your local bmv.

http://publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/bmv3774.pdf

After that they will run the vin maybe have you're local pd look it over and then you should be able to get a title all in the state of ohio none of this outta state crap.

WrenchDad

Its easy took me 5 mins.

Fill this out for the original certificate of title and then take it to your local bmv.

http://publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/bmv3774.pdf

After that they will run the vin maybe have you're local pd look it over and then you should be able to get a title all in the state of ohio none of this outta state crap.
That form asks for a title number and to state if it was lost ,damaged,ect. then you can provide proof it was not stolen and when that is done you get a duplicate Title. Same as in PA.

The problem is that his bike never had a title assigned to it. In Pa. they wont generate a title where a title # doesnt already exist (some where ) If there is not a number in the system somewhere already than it dosent exist. (that's what I was told by notary officials) Thats where the manufactures certificate of origin comes in. That has build info on it and serial numbers and such. With that you can apply for a title, without it the bike is out of the system.

That form asks for a title number and to state if it was lost ,damaged,ect. then you can provide proof it was not stolen and when that is done you get a duplicate Title. Same as in PA.

The problem is that his bike never had a title assigned to it. In Pa. they wont generate a title where a title # doesnt already exist (some where ) If there is not a number in the system somewhere already than it dosent exist. (that's what I was told by notary officials) Thats where the manufactures certificate of origin comes in. That has build info on it and serial numbers and such. With that you can apply for a title, without it the bike is out of the system.
It asks for proof of ownership a bill of sale will do and previous owner info and of course how you acquired it.

All he needs is a bill of sale from his dad and fill the rest out.

Also pa has way different laws regarding titling even with a mso its a pain in the ass. try to register a four wheeler with no title there ohio and michigan no problem.

I've got a '74 Trail 70 that I've had since 1981. Same situation, we bought it used when I was 13. Dad doesn't recall getting a title or not. I'm concerned if I try to get a title now, they'll determine it was stolen. We bought it from an older kid from not the best neighborhood.

What would happen if it had been stolen 30 years ago? Would the police take it?

I've always been afraid to try getting a title, but I'd like one of I ever sell it.

So ..... take your VIN and pose this question to your local state police department that has an NCIC computer:

"I'm considering the purchase of X vehicle with X for a VIN. Is it stolen?"

They will tell you yes or no and you can proceed accordingly. In all likelihood, those records from long ago will have fallen out of the system.

Rick