Rear Bearings and Spacers

You need a spacer. Ideally it would be within a few thou of being exactly the right length. That allows you to tighten down the axle without binding up the bearings.

newb

I wouldn't b able to fit it if it's one piece because it reduces right in the middle to exactly 5/8, which is the size of my axle, no room for a single one peice spacer. So I thought I'd have to use two smaller spacers one on each side.

I wouldn't b able to fit it if it's one piece because it reduces right in the middle to exactly 5/8, which is the size of my axle, no room for a single one peice spacer. So I thought I'd have to use two smaller spacers one on each side.
If that's the case, then the two spacers will bind against the middle. I'd be tempted to hog the middle out to make room for the spacer. What's the other side look like?

Here are some pics of mine I have two rears just like yours and the hole is actually bigger than 5/8th to fit the spacer thru then it is necked down to 5/8th at the end to fit in the bearings and the axle must be a half inch. The front I have uses a 5/8ths axle and it just has a spacer inside the bearings with a 5/8ths ID. It fits between the two bearing centers. You must have the spacer or the side thrust on the races will ruin the bearings.

newb

If anyone has anymore info that would b helpful please share this is the last peice of the puzzle and then I will have completed my first build. Thanks

newb

Your right the center is bigger than 5/8 so what kinda spacer do I need that has an ID of 5/8 and will still fit through that center hole?... you use a 1/2 axle?

I am just starting a couple of new builds one is a early rupp Continental. I have a frame and then bought some turbine wheels off of ebay and OldMiniBikes. I am just now taking them apart ot clean up bead blast and rebuild with new bearings Etc. I have a few axles some are 1/2 inch and some are 5/8. For you you need to see what diameter your axle is. If 1/2" then you need the stepped spacer like in the 1st photo. if you have a 5/8ths axle you need the internal spacer that has a Id of 5/8ths. You can make them from steel tube.

newb

That's ole for the help, but im freakin lost. All I know is I have a 5/8 axle for it and the axle slots on the frame fit the axle so I assume its the correct size.....

markus

cool :thumbsup: and I should note/correct myself that the wheel that Ole has is for a 1970 sprint and they needed a smaller axle for the new style swingarms, so all the 68-up except sprint:wink: