Rear disc brake with a TAV on Trailblazer

I have the Pred 212 stage one and a TAV. I have the 16" tires. The thing hauls!!! But I used a band brake in the rear. I am constantly adjusting it etc.. Today, I was going for a quick run and the bad broke at the welds.

Is there an easy way to add a rear or front disc brake without changing everything?

Thanks in advance,
Dave
10557721_672839016103573_3676709718074474953_o.jpg

I'm doing a TAV on my suspended TB, but I'm using a drum sprocket and drum brake. I'm afraid it may not be enough as well. I'm hoping to find one of the small drums to mount on the jackshaft and use a band there as a back up.

125ccCrazy

what wheel is on the back of that? If you were pulling the band brake from the wrong side that may have been the cause for the breakage... the brake would have been trying to unwind...

Last edited:

125ccCrazy

530X450X6 2PLY Universal TIRE CHENG SHIN

I made sure that the band was in the correct, self energizing direction. The disc brake is good to slow it down but not stop it.
Not tire, what wheel? is it a stock TH wheel? if you can get an internal brake to fit between the axle support and wheel the 4" internal brakes that will fit in the drum are useless for anything with more than a couple hp... you will want a 5" internal minimum for the hp you have.. as far as the welds breaking on the band brake, was the drum running true? any wobbles or not running concentric? either would cause the brake to jump around and want to hop.. If that's a stock TH wheel a disc brake could be fabbed up with a custom drilled rotor to fit the flange on the wheel, a spacer to go between the rotor and flange and a bracket welded to the frame for the caliper... not a real simple conversion but very possible... By the way, those are a nice tire for the TH...I use them on all but one of the TH I built and a couple Bonanzas... I like the tire size and the rounded tread better than the squared off knobbys..

No not a TB wheel it's the one off of here. The 6" with the 4 holes. Now you tell me! I ordered the 4.5" internal brake. Was gone fab it up. I was gonna run both the disc and the internal drum. I thought it was running true. No wobble. I fabbed this up on another TB I have and it's the same, slows the bike down but won't lock it up.