Reminder: 6.5 swaps - Cover your clutches! They can cut like a knife.

Hey Gang,
I learned an important lesson... the hard way... after an injury that could have been prevented on my DB6.5.

USE A CLUTCH COVER... not just a chain deflector.

With our 6.5 swaps, we usually reverse mount the clutch for alignment... so the spinning edge of the clutch basket is outboard... facing our legs.

My nephew took a simple spill on my DB6.5. Low speed, wet grass and a mis-timed handful of throttle, caused the back end to spin out on him. Went down on the left side with the spinning clutch landing on the side of his knee. Had there been a proper clutch cover, he would have gotten right up and been fine. But as it was, the spinning clutch cut deep. A clean, short cut but deep due to the spinning "blade".

Praise God, nothing vital was severed... and 9 stitches later, my nephew should heal up fine with only a scar and a story to tell. It could have been much worse.

I never envisioned the clutch cutting like that. I was always worried about deflecting a snapping chain. Please cover your clutches!

:drinkup:

joekd

May seem like overkill but I even make my son wear boots, gloves and a helmet even when riding the go kart off road

SAfety should always be first in my book. That clutch can grind thru boots too, oven melt some plastic off as well. My brother ruined a new pair of boots riding and pressing against the clutch. I get mocked but I always wear gloves when I ride, if I could afford a helmet Id wear that too.:thumbsup: Im glad no1 was severly injured:hammer::scooter:

Here are some pics of the chainguard/clutchguard that I run on my doodlebugs. I have a friend that makes them out of 20 or 22 gauge sheet metal.

Lots of people from my generation all have the same scar on our left ankles from the clutch. Everyday I see pix people post up of their bikes with no guards. I knew it was only a matter of time. Glad it's only a few stitches. My scar went bone deep and I remember it like it was yesterday. When I built my 6.5 it didn't have any guards so I immediately posted up a want ad for a chain guard and also bought the Promod clutch cover before I would even ride it.

Check yard sales I got a nice full face for $10.00 :thumbsup: But make sure it fits an ill fittin helmet does no better than no helmet :doah:
Yea Ive almost gotten a few from yard sales. But they were all too small for me and too big for my kids. Seems like ppl only buy helmets for their teenage kids:doah::scooter: