Respect the van

drheilman

The Honda Odyssey van cool????? I don't think so. That's almost as bad as Chrysler claiming that they were the "inventors of the mini van" with their 1987 Town and Country. Here's the van that started it all..:eek:ut:

Last edited:
i love the old dodge vans... i was actually disappointed when i saw that commercial, cause i didn't see any dodges in it

but this is what i have in my garage right now... i'm sure i will get around to it one of these days... it's a 1978 dodge tradesman with a slant 6 (last year for this body style)

and this is the van i bought to get some parts off of... including a low miles 360... but ya this thing was huge (now it's in van heaven)

The Honda Odyssey van cool????? I don't think so. That's almost as bad as Chrysler claiming that they were the "inventors of the mini van" with their 1987 Town and Country. Here's the van that started it all..:eek:ut:
Actually the VW was called a "bus" and putting the engine in the back where your "load" goes was a dumb design.

I'd have to say the first mass produced ,, motorized ,, van was the model T van unless you want to go back further and talk covered wagons and stage coaches!. :thefinger:

Hers some cool pics! http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/fordmodelt.htm

drheilman

Actually the VW was called a "bus" and putting the engine in the back where your "load" goes was a dumb design.

The correct term VW used is "Micro bus" I guess that is a far cry from the words "Mini van". Your right, putting the load above the drive tires is dumb, it only helped to improve the traction of a car incredible good traction already. Remember the suspension is almost identical to the KDF wagon/Kubel wagon (thats the car that Rommel used "take Africa" in WW2). Your model T....that's a TRUCK. You see in a van the driver shares the space with the cargo. In a truck he is separated from it.:thefinger::thefinger:

The correct term VW used is "Micro bus" I guess that is a far cry from the words "Mini van". Your right, putting the load above the drive tires is dumb, it only helped to improve the traction of a car incredible good traction already. Remember the suspension is almost identical to the KDF wagon/Kubel wagon (thats the car that Rommel used "take Africa" in WW2). Your model T....that's a TRUCK. You see in a van the driver shares the space with the cargo. In a truck he is separated from it.:thefinger::thefinger:
We wheren't in Africa then but I believe Patton ran them out of Africa with a Jeep where the front wheels ALSO drive and the weight is where it should be. :thefinger: They called that type model T a "van" so should we change history? :thefinger: LOL!!!!!!!!!

BTW, I once saw one of them tweaky sounding slug mobiles on fire on the freeway,, I almost pulled over to watch the flames finish the job.:laugh: I guess some people might enjoy loading heavy stuff in them but that rear door sure needs an upgrade! :eek:ut:

drheilman

[
BTW, I once saw one of them tweaky sounding slug mobiles on fire on the freeway,, I almost pulled over to watch the flames finish the job.:laugh: I guess some people might enjoy loading heavy stuff in them but that rear door sure needs an upgrade! :eek:ut:
Was it a white camper? It might of been mine:doah:

I thought the Patton come backer was good. :thefinger: A professor friend of mine has rebuilt his VW 3 times and has diven it cost to cost a few times. It's looking pretty bad but he just wont buy a new car. :doah:

Injun, I love old Pontiac wagons! UBBER!

Vans are OK. But when you need to haul stuff lets face it, there is only so much room.
This is Waynes "van": It still runs even know someone stole the rad out of it. :thumbdown::thumbdown: He had it parked up behind his building in the field and someone stole the rad from this and his dumptruck and who knows what else... hahahahaing bastards..