Respect the van

Anyone seen the Honda Odyssey tv commercials? They show all the cool old American 70's vans that are fixed up with custom interiors,wide rims and tires,etc driving around. Then at the end of the commercial it shows a stock Honda Odyssey MINIVAN. THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL THAT VAN WILL EVER BE COOL.
Kinda like if the Doodlebug had a commercial,They would show all the cool old 60's american minibikes riding around and then show a new Doodlebug at the end of the commercial. :thumbdown:

65ShelbyClone

They are playing an association trick and targeting people who were probably in the 18-25 demographic in the '70s.

I agree, minivans in general will never be cool, especially with the "soccer mom/pile of kids in the back" image they have ALWAYS had. They are glorified station wagons, IMO. Shoot, even station wagons are making a comeback. A real life Revenge of the Nerds. :doah:

Yep much like DB's "use" the past, even in the name.

I've only owned two vans in my life, one was like this and it rhymed. (GMC 283, 3 on the tree) :thumbsup:

There's only one one newer van that reminds me of old times and it's built on a truck frame and is like a truck unlike the soccer mom crap everyone else is making .

I have one like this and it's actually a great mini hauler and comfy on long trips and great in the snow with AWD. Funny how the new one still has a "face" and they where both GMC.

back in the day you could buy a gmc or chevv with a 307 cu in 3 speed on collum
geard prety low,man were they quick,you could burn the tires right if you wonted to
kool man kool.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

but the first ford E100 ECONOLINE vans were 6 cyl 1961 to 1967 kool looking like
gmc and chevy,,you could get the ford van with the curbside doors PLUS matching
doors on the left side,of corse left side is always the drivers side of eny car/truck
see how smart i are.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ed,

Back in 1974 we, a friend and I had four different surfer vans. First, "California Blues" had a turntable, disco lights in the ceiling and was a Ford F100 302 V-8 Auto with a ocean mural painted by Moss.
Second, came the "Overland Express" Ford 1964 no side doors panel with a built 302 with a 490 lift cam and Mondello ported heads. It was converted to an auto with a click shift. Both were in magazines.
Third, came another 1964 no side door van. Had black gorrella hair originally, had it painted light blue with another ocean mural and had a 351 Clevland engine and an automatic trans. That was the fastest of the three. Then, I bought that van and it was painted yellow. It had a plywood box around the engine and all three vans had N-50-15 rear tires and air shocks. We must have banged 200+ females in all three vans. They loved them at Van Nuys Blvd. We shouted out obsenities and they came running. We spent many nights and never regretted a single minute.

Fourth, was a Ford F350 one ton and it was an old deliverly truck and it was only owned a short time. The funny thing was is the women loved the vans and at one car show we came back to the display and had a for sale sign and four dykes were inside smoking in a circle and took it away for six grand a few days later. California Blues2 was the bomb. Had stained plywood with two part resin epoxy on custom panels.

These old days are missed. It was long before Aids and we had a blast every Wed. night!

TT :thumbsup:

Last edited:
but the first ford E100 ECONOLINE vans were 6 cyl 1961 to 1967 kool looking like
gmc and chevy,,you could get the ford van with the curbside doors PLUS matching
doors on the left side,of corse left side is always the drivers side of eny car/truck
see how smart i are.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I took my drivers test in a 1964 Econoline (dads hardware store delivery vehicle). The examiner got a little woozy from the exhaust fumes coming through the holes in the body but I passed!
It was more rust than sheet metal but the best part was you could adjust the timing while driving it. The old Ford straight sixes were bulletproof.

Ed,

Back in 1974 we, a friend and I had four different surfer vans. First, "California Blues" had a turntable, disco lights in the ceiling and was a Ford F100 302 V-8 Auto with a ocean mural painted by Moss.
Second, came the "Overland Express" Ford 1964 no side doors panel with a built 302 with a 490 lift cam and Mondello ported heads. It was converted to an auto with a click shift. Both were in magazines.
Third, came another 1964 no side door van. Had black gorrella hair originally, had it painted light blue with another ocean mural and had a 351 Clevland engine and an automatic trans. That was the fastest of the three. Then, I bought that van and it was painted yellow. It had a plywood box around the engine and all three vans had N-50-15 rear tires and air shocks. We must have banged 200+ females in all three vans. They loved them at Van Nuys Blvd. We shouted out obsenities and they came running. We spent many nights and never regretted a single minute.

Fourth, was a Ford F350 one ton and it was an old deliverly truck and it was only owned a short time. The funny thing was is the women loved the vans and at one car show we came back to the display and had a for sale sign and four dykes were inside smoking in a circle and took it away for six grand a few days later. California Blues2 was the bomb. Had stained plywood with two part resin epoxy on custom panels.

These old days are missed. It was long before Aids and we had a blast every Wed. night!

TT :thumbsup:
I remember the California Blues van. I too was on Van Nuys BLVD in the 70's and 80's. I had a 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix that was blue metalflake painted by Walt Prey. A few years later I had a black 1949 Merc that was black with flames. It was always parked in front of Super Shops and Biffs coffee shop.
Small world isn't it ? Those were the good ole days ! :thumbsup:

My Dad and Mom Both had custom vans growing up. Dad built them both. This is the only photo I have and it's from 1978 I think. They where both pretty well tricked out This is my Moms I do remember it was a new van at the time but it was totalled when we got it "fire damage" and Dad rebuilt it. Dad had a gold one, both Dodge.

It was great because when Dad would swing around to tag us kids we could get away from him. But if we got him mad enough he would pull over and then you knew you where up shit creek!

delray

randy, my dad had a new 1976 dodge maxiwagon sportsman model,two tone blues. baby blue in the middle and darker blue top and bottom. drive train was a BIG BLOCK 440 with auto-trans. we had these brackets that hook on the back bumper for the minibike to ride in:thumbsup: also van had the single large back door. most thing i can remember about that van was,it was fast and it could smoke the tires all day..................:thumbsup: