Roper project

Picked this bike up for $65 last week on local CL. Bike was there for at least a week. Put photo up on OldMiniBikes Saturday night and it was identified immediately as a Roper. Took the entire bike apart Saturday, going to the sandblaster next week, some serious surface rust on it. I do a weird thing to my bikes, blow out the tubing with high pressure water hose, let it dry well in the sun the plug up a couple of crimp holes and pour Rustoleum inside the frame, roll it all around then drain it and let it dry. Not sure if it helps, but makes me feel better. Got some good info from mrpat and bowtiebutler's Roper projects. Just found the original Roper decal and pinstriping on eBay.
Will update photos after sandblaster and future progress. Any tips appreciated.

Do another search in the "Project Log" topic section, using the search words "Sears Roper Project". Scroll down to the build thread started by "The Ruppster 86" back on 7-27-2011. You will see another very good example of a cool "transformation" with lots of photos of parts. His build thread is still one of the all-time most viewed threads on this forum. If you REALLY want to have some fun with that bike think about making it into a 2-speed!
Michael
Sidebar: Always nice to see another Sears Roper project going!:thumbsup:

Roper week 2

Dropped the Roper off at the sandblaster on Thursday picked it up Friday, and spent Saturday priming it. Now, on to order some parts.

Roper progress

Got some great advice from creia on the Roper. Just got the engine plate back from the welding shop- needed a couple of welds- must have been made on a Friday afternoon. Had the day off and spent the day wet sanding, glazing, priming, getting ready for the hot rod orange paint job from the rattle can paint shop. Package came from Bolt Depot. If you don't live near a big city, these guys have EVERYTHING, and it comes individually bagged and marked.

I always enjoy seeing another Sears Roper project going.:thumbsup: Keep providing us with updates on your progress?!
Michael

Keep up the good work! Its looking really good.:thumbsup: I really need to get mine finished. I got it mocked up for testing, and it ran so well that I decided to enjoy it a little, then I got wrapped up in other projects. Seeing you build, has reminded me I really need to get back to work!:hammer:

Matt

Roper progress

Had a good day today, plenty of sunshine to help dry the paint. A couple little touch ups tomorrow and I should be done with the painting.

With the exception of outdoor plumbing and the hot water heater, the invention of sandblasting has to be in the top three, That mini sat on CL for weeks with no takers due to heavy heavy rust. Sandblasting made it like new.......(see original photo)

Last edited:
wow RR............cant wait to see how well you do with the hornet.......you do nice work.......like your color choice too........:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I would call it Hot Rod Orange or Harley orange, but its actually rattle can Rustoleum orange. My paint booth is upside down trash cans in the back yard. Now if someone steals my trashcans they will be easy to find - they are all orange on the bottom.