Rupp drum brake

I am putting the rear back together , When I install the tension spring on the drum lever the brakes work backwards .Pull lever and the drum releases ,let the lever go and brake locks .Without the tension spring on the drum lever it works fine .Am I missing something .I have tried to fix for hours .1970 Rupp scrambler ,
rear drum brake

Thanks Charlie

I have the same drum brake unit in my hand now . when the spring and lever are attached correctly my lever actually returns back farther than it needs to because of return spring tension against it and when you apply some cable tension with the brake cable hooked up it can be centered and wheel rolls properly on my bike .

KB2ROCKET

Yep that's the answer when you let go of the brake lever the shoes should be neutral and retracted this is adjusted with the cable.
Thanks for posting this I just noticed I need one of those springs anyone got a spare?

jrzmac

charlie, what you have to do is sorta hold the brake lever up while you push the cable thru the screw retainer part. then hook one of the barrel type nuts on, and push the lever up so the brakes are just about contacted. then tighten the barrel down to hold the cable. It's kinda hard to do because the springs on the brake lever are working against you. then when you get the barrel on, you screw the retainer part in or out to tighten or loosen the brakes. most of the time it's to tighten. I used a wood clamp to hold the lever where I wanted it. https://www.tonewood.sk/show_big_pic.php?id=705771&tb=t_tools&pc=tools i hooked one end on the lever and the other end on the shock. Am I making any sense???? Too bad your not close by, I could come take a look ....ah you'll get it!

KB2ROCKET

It sounds like all you need to do is turn the adjuster CCW on the hand lever until the brake stops dragging and then lock down the jam nut and yet set
If you run out of adjustment before the brake frees up then screw the hand lever adjuster back in CW
Then go to the drum and adjust the cable there by pushing the lever forward to the aprox. neutral position then loosen the cable barrel/stop? And slide it up the cable to meet the lever and tighten it up again then see if the brake drags on it's own if not then your good if so then try and make fine adjustments again at the hand lever
If none of this helps then get some cheap shoes and drag them on the ground or look for something soft to run onto

Thank you to everyone ,I got it now but I need new brake and throttle cables which I just ordered .JR look at my pics added another toy !

Happy New Years to all
Charlie

KB2ROCKET

I've had it about a year and a half . It's funny I have a red blown v8 ranger and I have more fun with the mini everyone wants to make all the typical comments like how many clowns will fit in there or they used to have one or they tell me my steering wheel is on the wrong side and I say no it's on the right side :)

Rocket , People smile all the time you know what I mean .I take it to shows with a sign on it 1965 Austin Cooper holds 2 clowns comfortably gets 90 miles to the gallon .To funny because everyone says wow 90 miles to a gallon , I was just trying to be funny.

BTW MY DAD WAS A DENTIST

Cheers Charlie:laugh: