rupp pit bike engine choices

Hello, I'm new to the site and have been looking at building a rupp pit bike. Since the bike won't be stock I am not concerned about going back to the original engine. My question is which engine would you all recommend. First off, is there any major reliability concerns with either B&S or Tecumseh? I would like a strong, reliable engine that would put out good torque numbers.

My personal choice would be to stay with the tecumseh and go for a star engine but I am concerned that this is too much engine for a mini. Also what about the h50, h60? Are there any new engine options from tecumseh other than the hs40? All comments and insight would be very much appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

I intend on basically just using the rupp frame and gas tank with an updated suspension such as alloy forks, extended swing arms, handlebars, disc brakes. I'll be making it quit the project and didn't want to skimp on the engine. So what specific drivetrain set-up would you all recommend? Any pros/cons to any of the brands/types such as quality differences, longevity, simplicity, etc

tomsprops

GP17 -Look in my gallery I have one ! Mine has a Briggs Animal, Nothing can touch it ! Clone or Briggs Racing ! It's a Pullstart Wheelie Machine !

All I can say about the Clone engines is CHOP CHOP a Chinaman is waiting for your order now mater the cost BUY AMERICAN . The briggs has a lot of powerful engines and so does the Tecumseh. The Tecumseh Star has a lot of Hi-Pro parts if you got the bucks.

I don't know how big the pits you are wanting to use this Rupp in are but most have speed limits and some engines just don't do the PUTT PUTT real well.

Stick in the mud ! Steve :scooter:

Which is better with regards to longevity, reliability, quality, etc; a Honda gx200 (not a clone) or the briggs animal? These two engines are relatively the same size cubic inch wise. I do understand the power difference, but also understand that the honda motor can be brought up to a similar power/torque curve.

Is the animal basically an updated raptor? Although different in appearance, they are the same size.

tomsprops

The briggs is full race motor ready to run from the crate,but it's also about $500. Clones are more utilitarian Governed motors that can be easly upgraded,but you still have lower quality parts. But for the $400 differance you can make up for that by replacing ALOT of parts !
World Formulas are about $1000. and Very strong motors about 18hp.W electric start.
I chose to upgrade my Animal instead of a WF and I RACE IT HARD ! It's a Bullet proof motor, I'll pound Race after Race ! But that durability comes at a price $

I think I have made up my mind and will go with the animal. Is there any reason to get it blueprinted or is it ready out of the box? Does the WF just put out more hp/torque or is there a quality difference between the animal and WF.

The animal will put out more than enough power for what I want, but I would like to take all necessary steps to ensure that the engine is set-up correctly and last.

Thanks for all the replies! :thumbsup:

If I decide to go with a b&s animal would I need to go with a torque converter that is rated at a higher hp than the TAV2 and 30 which is only rated at 8 hp? The comet 40 and 44 are rated at 16-25 hp and the 44 is adjustable I believe. Would either of these be a wise option for mx style track applications?