Rupp Resto-mod

jrzmac

thats def. a Rupp from the 60's. To me, from the pics that I have, It looks like a 69(?)tt500. Could be a 69 Roadster but I have a pic of a tt500, and the front brake looks almost exact.
The handlebars are def. not original though!!!

Nice little rupp CH9, that will make a great bike, just think a minibike with front and rear disks! It might actually stop when you want it to!:laugh: Good luck and keep us posted!

C9H13NO3

I got the bike mostly disassembled, and then I hit a snag. The head of a bolt tore off while I was taking it out. :thumbdown:

The chrome is in HORRIBLE shape, so I might go with red on anything that was chrome. [just a thought]

I was able to get everything off the bike, but I can't figure out how to take the rear shocks apart. I have a tank of Evaporust waiting for the springs, and want to get them in ASAP.

Any help?

Also, the jackshaft rolls, but won't budge side to side. Any ideas on what to do?

Last edited:

C9H13NO3

Nice project ! Better make sure the Briggs is going to fit...
I'm hoping it will, but if it doesn't I have a few Tec's I can choose from. If I can squeeze a 5hp briggs in there, I'll be ecstatic, but chances are I won't be able to, as it is a pretty tight space.

thats def. a Rupp from the 60's. To me, from the pics that I have, It looks like a 69(?)tt500. Could be a 69 Roadster but I have a pic of a tt500, and the front brake looks almost exact.
The handlebars are def. not original though!!!
It's not a TT500, since it doesn't have the mounts for the light, and there is no evidence to show that they were removed. Someone could have switched the forks though.

To get the jack shaft out you might have to remove one of the snap rings that are on the jack shaft bearings, I kind of remember having to do that on one my old ones. Its kind of a pain, but it will get them off

I am not sure but.... To disasemble the newer rupp shocks, you must unscrew the bottom of the shock from the top, then you slightly compress the spring in a vise or similar. Then there is a pin that holds it all together, drive that pin out and the shocks come apart. That is pretty wordy I hope it makes sense without pictures! It is probably the same for the older smaller shocks, but like I said I am not 100% sure its been a real long time since I played with one of those things!

I am not sure but.... To disasemble the newer rupp shocks, you must unscrew the bottom of the shock from the top, then you slightly compress the spring in a vise or similar. Then there is a pin that holds it all together, drive that pin out and the shocks come apart. That is pretty wordy I hope it makes sense without pictures! It is probably the same for the older smaller shocks, but like I said I am not 100% sure its been a real long time since I played with one of those things!
Thanks, I'll see if there is a pin.

The forks are for 50 cc dirt bike, and yes good 12 inch wheels are getting hard to come by! mine are junk but I have no choice but to use them!
I might have to check the scrapyard next time I go for an old dirtbike front end. :laugh:

Forgot to add, I may not have the bike powdercoated, since I am equipped to do good (not spray can) paintjobs and airbrush + pinstripe work.