Rupp Roadster 2 1971-75 with 12 inch wheels, Which Tires for trail riding?

GustoGuy

Hi again, I bought a Rupp Roadster 2 with the 12 inch wheels off of Craig's list a few weeks back and I am looking to make it into a nice little gravel road/low maintenance road and trail machine since I have miles of low maintance roads and trails to ride by my cabin. I am getting the parts togather and will soon start the build which I will post here on the forum. I have a Predator 212cc re-powered Doodle Bug with snow hog tires and I found the Carlise Snow Hogs to be a huge upgrade over the stock Doodle Bug tire and I can ride it on relatively soft and loose sand on these roads and trails that would have hung it up with the stock tires. What is the Best replacement tire in a Motorcross style for the Rupp Roadster 2 which will be good on low maintanence gravel roads with loose sand? I heard that a manufacturer even makes an oversized bigger than the stock size tire too for this machine which would be good on the low traction surfaces such as loose sand and gravel. Which Tires and engine and suspension parts have you guys /gals used to make your Rupp's into good trail riding machines?

Attachments

Last edited:

delray

i personally think the factory tire design you have is the best thing to have for those conditions...:thumbsup:

GustoGuy

i personally think the factory tire design you have is the best thing to have for those conditions...:thumbsup:
I agree. A motor cross style tire would be the best tire. I put a Carlisle Snow Hog on my Predator 212cc Doodle bug and it was nothing short of an amazing improvement over the stock tire. Loose sand and gravel traction is much improved over the thin walled bouncy old tire. I was wondering if anyone made a slightly beefier motor cross style tire that would still fit the Rupp factory 12 inch x 3 Inch rim? A few years back I rode at Fat Tire bike and it did really well over soft ground when compared to a thinner tire Mountain Bike would. My Predator powered DB really works well with the High traction Snow Hog tires and I was wondering if any manufacturers make a great motor cross tire for the Rupp Roadster 2?

Last edited:

delray

try doing a search on ebay for 3.00-12 tires. makesure you try different ways of typing it in for example 3-12, 3x12 ,3.00-12 etc....:thumbsup:
there is a little bit more aggressive i have seen. (motorcross style)