Ruttman little Indian mufflers.

CarPlayLB

Dolla's Avatar...ya gots to put the dolla's on these! How much $$$?

...and per site rules ...blah blah blah...and ho hum. Gotta have a price! They look nice and should sell!

Sorry fellas...I'm trying to find out what he wants for them. I'll post a price as soon as I can. They're really nice. Only flaw I see is a little bump from bending the tube. Easily seen in the pic. I apologise for posting before I knew the price.

I bought your buddies last Ruttman Grass Hopper chopper angle pipe. He had it listed on ebay. I questioned where he got his dimensions from. He said his buddy had an original that wasn't for sale. Was it you by chance? If so I want to buy!
He asked what I thought of the pipes when he was trying to unload the few he made originally and listed on ebay. I told him most of us want the Taylors or Tec mufflers. I also said a little more time with cleaning the lump/weld he probable would sell them better.
But the chopper muffler is almost impossible to find. And from what I understand Ruttman welded their own chopper pipes to fit in the frames correctly.
Bottom line I bought it! And it was his last one in that style at the time. He asked me about fit when I received so I mounted. And it was off. Very tight to the side of air filter housing. While I was still able to mount it brushed up against housing very, very tight. I'm sure Ruttman had some type of clearance. Cheezy or Dean could confirm. As I still have yet to see a original in hand and cannot confirm that's how the originals were. Mine also has the lump in it. However, I plan on using until I locate the real deal!
As for the other style Ruttman pipes. The ones that hang over top of air cleaner. I would much rather have an original Tec or Taylor and maybe pay a few extra dollars at the 75.00 dollar price. And Yes, I believe I paid 75.00 for mine but again it's the chopper side bend angle pipe. And you have to either cut and weld your own or find one on an original chopper if you want one. So I'm not complaining simply because of the style of pipe I received.
I think once a few of you receive your going to wish you spent a little extra for the real deal. In my case the real deal doesn't exist unless you own and original chopper without the muffler stripped of the motor.
JM2C

Last edited:
Here is the one I purchased. Like I said it's a special muffler made for the grasshopper. Which are not easy to find. I wanted to also mention. along with the lump it had crimp marks from the pipe bender. those could have very easily been sanded out prior to coating.

Vintage Muffler Minibike Tecumseh Ruttman Grasshopper HS40 HS50 | eBay

FYI- Not complaining or knocking in a bad way. I believe your buddy has something good going. I think he just needs to fine tune his craftsmanship. He has the talent that's for sure. It's just most people in this hobby want either the real deal or perfection. I happen to want both.

Last edited:

Well I'll see how the muffler fits on my Tecumseh 5 hp tomorrow. I'll post a picture and people can decide if it's something they want.

Sounds good. All I want is for the members to get what their paying for. And a member did confirm to me the pipe is not even close to the original chopper pipe.