Ruttman Project

I just completed my little Ruttman project. I took a frame and fork on trade in August and I immediately thought of a guy I used to work with. He had shown me a pic of himself on a mini somewhere around 1971 or 1972. I used the pic for my inspiration.

Here is how I got the frame.

Removed all paint. I had to make both front and rear fender brackets and weld them on. What I was doing was looking to build on a budget. I had a lot of the parts in bins and on shelves in my garage.

Found some foot pegs and cleaned them up. Also going to use the seat from the Spyder since it is the proper seat for the Toad and not quite right for the Spyder. I will have to ask Karen to make me a new one for the Spyder which is a few inches longer.

After paint. I had to make a clutch cover and bracket. I modelled after an original. I enjoy making things so if they aren't a 100% perfect match, I'm ok with that.

I found some crusty old wheels locally which I had to sand blast and repaint. The front tire was original and surprisingly in good shape. The rear tire was shot. I ordered a new rear tire.

Wow! Another beautiful restoration by you Pat. That exhaust looks like it came right off the shelf. Hey, what did Mark say about this?
I was texting Mark with the progress on this bike as I was moving along. He is super excited to take it for a ride. I was going to try to snap a pic of him "now" on the bike in the same fashion as the original pic.

Very nice Pat. Looks awesome. Nice to see a old school restoration. Getting him on the bike and taking his current photo will be really cool. Great job. :clap::bowdown:

I finally went and got some fresh gas for the Ruttman. This has a brand new carburetor which needs to be dialed in which is no biggie. Engine started on the third pull which isn't too bad since its been sitting for 2 years.

I never did get to dial in the carb. though since the stupid pull rope ended up in my hand! I pulled the damn rope out of the dang housing! Now I have to take it apart again. I love this stuff!!

ugmold

Some great work there. Love the paint (off the shelf?)

I need to do a fender bracket on my Roma Nova, newbie welder (awful) I have a Harbor Freight 125amp welder and a little worried about blowing holes thru the frame, should I be? Doesn't have much a heat adjustment Hi/Low.

Some great work there. Love the paint (off the shelf?)

I need to do a fender bracket on my Roma Nova, newbie welder (awful) I have a Harbor Freight 125amp welder and a little worried about blowing holes thru the frame, should I be? Doesn't have much a heat adjustment Hi/Low.
I really think you would have to try hard to blow through the metal with the little 110 volt welder. I've only had a problem with 1/16" and thinner material. If I were you I might practice a few minutes on some scrap 1/8" thick metal just to get the swing of things. Watch here.

https://youtu.be/SYp4Pu8WXYc