salsbury/comet drive clutch interchange?

tim m

I bought a trail horse and it was missing the drive clutch.The driven clutch is a salsbury 330 series which I have.My question is will a comet 20 series drive clutch work with my salsbury 330 driver clutch an original belt.Thanks for any info.Tim

I would think that it should be OK. The Comet 20 is symmetrical and I think that the Salsbury is also symmetrical so it's OK if the 3/4 inch belt is what they both used.
Engine Powered in Kansas at one time sold a lot of Salsbury 330 series systems they might have some left or have answers.
Steve :scooter:

WOW just checked the Engine Powered store and they have the NOS Salsbury 330 series converters for a buy it now price of $29.99 that is for a 5/8 shaft and 6 inch diameter driven unit that uses the 5/8 inch wide belt.

tim m

The shaft on my engine is 3/4" and would like to use this engine.It has nice old copper colored paint just like the frame of the bike.What store did you mention and what is their website?Tim

WOW I read that all wrong what you need is the driver half. I guess your back to the Comet 20 series unit. And it should work I have mixed brands before and did not have any problems. Go Kart Supply has the Comet 340 series drive clutch for the 3/4 inch shaft for the price of $ 170.00 That is a very tune-able clutch they use them a lot in Junior Dragsters because of the tuning ability.

george3

He needs a comet tc-88 for 5/8 wide belt. 20 series is 3/4 wont work. comet tc-88 is 15 degrees on both sides of the belt. Not sure if the 330 is the same check it out and get back with me. Maybe I can help you out here.

Last edited:

tim m

Yes, it looks as though the 330 driven pulley has the 15 degree angles and both innersides of it have the same angle.You are correct on the belt size at 5/8" wide.Tim

A Comet 20 series belt would be 3/4 inch top width. In the symmetrical style of much older systems Comet used the TC 88 belt witch is obsolete but that don't mean you can't find one.

you can use a comet 20 series driver.
just take 1/8 off of the sheave with a grinder. it doesnt have to be perfect.
whereby making a 3/4 belt into a 5/8..

Hmmmm ... The TC88 Challenge Commences Again

That might be the best way to go :grind: ... I had to just about beg and plead to get the TC88 from a member here a few weeks back ... They are very hard to find ... I was real lucky ... Thanks again George3 ... Either way good luck with it ...

george3

What will happen is the belt wont wont enguage till it rises some then it will not rise clear to the top. You will be useing only 50% of what the correct clutch will do. But do what you want, its your bike not mine.

Since were on the subject-I wound up with both a NOS Salsbury 330 3/4" bore 4 1/2" driver/primary part number 142503 and a 330 driven/secondary 5/8" bore 6" OD part number 142603 ink dated 1970 and am curious if anyone has an idea what they were original equipment on?? I'm strictly a speedway guy and these were in a truckload of parts I got but I know they weren't for any speedways. Also curious about a V PLEX 5/8" x 6" driven/secondary that was in the mess as well. Someone posted about taking a Comet 20 and taking an 1/8" off the inner hub-Yep it works to replace the TC-88 which is just a early series 20 in 5/8". It will all interchange.

I have 2 NOS Comet TC 88 driven units that are 7 inch in diameter and have a 3/4 inch shaft. The product number in black marker is 204084 if they will help anyone.

Sounds like the way to go is to get a comet 20 and grind the right parts down.Can someone post a picture of the pieces that need an 1/8" taken off.This would be a big help when I get my clutch so I don't mess it up.Thanks again for all the info.Tim

george3

You only need to do #12 but you better do it on a lathe. the amount must be close. Too much and the belt will not disengage at idle, not enough the belt will engage higher on the drive at take off loss of torque, and not fully go to the top of the drive when at top speed.

Since were on the subject-I wound up with both a NOS Salsbury 330 3/4" bore 4 1/2" driver/primary part number 142503 and a 330 driven/secondary 5/8" bore 6" OD part number 142603 ink dated 1970 and am curious if anyone has an idea what they were original equipment on?? I'm strictly a speedway guy and these were in a truckload of parts I got but I know they weren't for any speedways. Also curious about a V PLEX 5/8" x 6" driven/secondary that was in the mess as well. Someone posted about taking a Comet 20 and taking an 1/8" off the inner hub-Yep it works to replace the TC-88 which is just a early series 20 in 5/8". It will all interchange.
pretty sure that salsbury clutches were on early arctic cat stuff and maybe even on honda oddyssey karts?

You only need to do #12 but you better do it on a lathe. the amount must be close. Too much and the belt will not disengage at idle, not enough the belt will engage higher on the drive at take off loss of torque, and not fully go to the top of the drive when at top speed.
It doesnt have to be done on a lathe. it can be done with a grinder and it will work just fine. :wink: