School of Valve Knocks?!

i recently pulled the motor from my mini for winter since i neddt to replace some parts, paint andfix my engine, not to mention clean the heck out ofit, alot of hard riding :thumbsup:. so heres the deal, it knocks, i mean the valves make a ka- clack sound when turning over by hand and when its running. i have recently installed an arc rod, double springs and retainers and a Pc-150 cam. I looked up torwue specs and its all in spec, i have propper valve clearence, i dont even know :shrug:, hopefully someone knows! my dad seems to think its just the cam, but i dont like it since it sounds like a bad problem...

Neck

Growing up is optional
A knock would be a rod bearing, valve noises are more like ticks. Does it make the same noise with the clutch off the engine?

With out a clutch, it makes the same noise, I know it isn't the rod bearing or rod since without the valves or cam it is silent, I installed double springs and removed the valves, set clearance to cam card specs, maybe I made a retainer guide burr or may need to lap the valves. It's more of a tick, but it's not a rod knock. also i thought the valves may be barley hitting the head, just enough to make noise. i will check when i get home from sschool today\

so it wasnt the head hitting, the valves are a little sloppy, the guides are a little worn but thats not the noise turns out its the cam design. it has small flat spots on the down stroke to open the valve on its way closed a little. if that makes any sense... man i feal like an idiot!! :doah::doah: well do you think i still should lap the valves? the engine built up alot of sludege in 4 months, i dont know that problem

Last edited: