Sears Roper Project

Hello everybody at OldMiniBikes forum i stared this project about mid july its a old sears roper i found in my grandparents shed. It was in really good shape it still had the gas tank no rust inside, the seat was there, the original wheels that still hold air! Ok so it has all the hard to find stuff besides kickstand and sissybar and i bought some fenders from someone. from what i started with i was excited to get it tore down and paint it, with a rust free body it was a breeze. I got some shocks and freed up the front fork springs. Ive been working on the engine for a while and it is now in the condition that it will now run!! Its the original tecumseh h35 3.5 engine. seeing as this project is almosst complete its pretty silly for me to start this thread i just wanted to share my progress. i will post some pictures. feel free to post any questions or any info on the old ropers. Being only 14 i dont know much about them haha. feel free to post :)

Welcome, the ropers are nice bikes.if you run into trouble don't be afraid to ask anything.we're here to help.post some pics.

Post some photos and show off that bike!:thumbsup:
My son ("The Ruppster 86" on this forum) performed a complete restoration on a Sears Roper early last year, and documented the entire procedure on this forum in the "Project Logs" topic section, under the thread entitled "Sears Roper Project"- and he was (only) 15 years old at the time. (That is him pitching in my avatar photo to the left) You are to be commended, and I applaud you, for taking on the project!:thumbsup: These are unique bikes and there is quite a devoted following of OldMiniBikes members here interested in them. It is young men like you and my son that are part of the NEXT generation to continue the interest in mini-bikes, long after old guys like me (and MANY others) are long gone.
Regards,
Michael

thank you guys for all the support it has been hard to do this project, honestly the only easy part was painting it haha, so thanks for your appreciation. there has been a few things that have been disappointing me. just yesturday on the throttle grip assembly the top clamp cracked in half (picture coming up), made in japan what a p.o.s., so now i need a new one or the clamp, would a harley clamp assy work? today also i started it to see if the clutch worked for the first time, it works! the wheel moves but at idle it moves.... it looks like the chain is so tight its pulling the drum of the clutch to the right so its in constant contact with the weights? but when its running and the chain is moving it bounces up and down and hits parts of the frame, do i need a chain tensioner? did it originally have a chain tensioner? what could it be? any help would be apreciated also what size clutch did the ropers originaly have? 3/4? 5/8?

Andrewp

Kind of a crappy pic, but you should get the idea. I moved the tape measure over, and started measuring from the one inch mark so you could see better. This is a 5/8" shaft in the pic.